Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    To jump or charge?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

To jump or charge?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sloop John B
posted
OK I seem to have left the Assc. switch on and now when I turn the key to start the Barth nothing.. Whats best, jump from the Pontiac, jump from house batteries or put it on the battery charge/5/10&50amp starter for a while first? No problem with a long extension cord as it is close to the house. I think a slow charge would be best. Right or wrong? Not in a hurry to move it. JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would check them for fluid levels, then throw on your charger. If they are REALLY DEAD it may take a few minutes before the gage shows much activity on the charger. At least that's the way my charger acts. I would not be afraid of putting on regular charge, but I doubt it will make much if any difference. JUST MY OPINION, and DOES NOT MEAN MY OPINION IS RIGHT.

I wish you well. Not the end of the world.
Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
While giving billh the respectful position of of answering the electronic questions, I'll throw in an often overlooked subject. Check the fluid levels of all the batteries before charging.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Boy Dale, do geat minds think alike or do we just have too much time on our hands?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two weeks ago I couldn't SPELL electical engineer,and NOW, I are one. Yes GREAT minds DO think alike. Just ask US....

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Dale it least you can spell. In school I never got out of the first round of a spelling bee. I can only say without spell check I would not be able to do my job as a real estate appraiser. I also can not type worth a hoot. JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
You guys don't have anything to worry about. When I was in Jr. High I did an appendectomy on a neighbor kid and that didn't turn out well either. Crap, surgery ain't easy. And, don't believe everything you hear. Those Gin-sou knives don't easily slice through everything...

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
A slow charge from a charger is easier on the battery and alternator. The alternator works really hard to charge a run down battery. When you check the water in the batt, leave the caps off while it charges. Use a hydrometer to monitor progress.

The battery may or may not recover, so keep an eye on it for a while.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Thanks Billh I was waiting for your opinion.. I seem to remember something to add to water to keep surface of water covered to prolong life of battery??? JKB

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLOOP JOHN B:
I seem to remember something to add to water to keep surface of water covered to prolong life of battery??? JKB

Below is a link to the posts on battery oil. A layer of oil on top of the electrolyte just keeps water from evaporating or boiling out. It will do nothing to prolong the life of a well treated battery, but does make it easier to maintain the battery well.

https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000525.html

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited July 01, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link bill. it should be a must read for everyone.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Good end of story. New Battery no cost as it was 9 months old and I did not buy it or have a rect. but they gave me a new one , no charge. JKB