Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    carpet removal
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

carpet removal
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Today I removed the bedroom carpet. Mr. BARTH did not believe in gravity as he felt it wise to staple carpet out in the middle of the floor. I found no glue was used or tack strips. 3/16" x 1/2" coated staples with no sign of rust on any of same. The carpet had been installed B 4 the back cabinets had been installed. I was able to pull out the lower drawers and just in side of the cabinet walls cut the carpet. This will allow room for me to tuck the new under same for a clean look. I did not hurry so it took approx. 2 hours to remove from the bedroom. I did find alittle engine dust on the bottom side of the mattress. We are installing a new mattress, and I wonder if anyone feels it would be wrong to lay down a plastic, or better yet a rubber sheet over the trap door? This would lay first on top of the felt type material that covers the door now. Any thoughts are most welcome my friends. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I think this will be a bad idea.

My Barth has a wood floor, which I suppose they all do.

A plastic or rubber barrier could become a trap for moisture, not letting it evaporate.

This moisture would become a source of wood rot, mold and mildew.

Leave it out.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree it could be a problem that's why I was asking. Thanks for your input for sure. I will try a thin rubber gasket where the trap door meets the frame work, and keep an eye on same. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Your local hardware store should carry a variety of inexpensive, self-adhesive foam weatherstripping, in varying widths and thicknesses, down to 1/8" or 3/16". If you have any clearance at all under your trap door, the thin material compresses down to almost nothing.

If you try this, be sure to go for the "closed cell" variety, which is usually gray in color. The closed cell material doesn't absorb water like a sponge.

There are other varieties of rubber/plastic weatherstripping as well, which might also work. Check 'em out.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I doubt that moisture would be a problem with all the engine heat back there.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post