Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    460 Ford won't shut off when hot?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

460 Ford won't shut off when hot?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We are looking at a 1991, 33', 460 Ford that the owner is having an electrical problem.
The engine will not shut off after running approx. 2 hours or when it gets hot. It forces him to remove the wire from the coil to shut the engine off. You also need to remove the battery cable because if not, it will drain the house battery and engine battery.
He also has the coach set up that when it is stored he plugs it into 110 volt, it charges the coach battery as well as the engine battery. When you let the coach cool off overnight, it will start fine the next day and shut off okay, until you let it run approx. two hours and it gets hot, then it will not shut off with the ignition. Okay...any guess as to what this might be?

[This message has been edited by whamer (edited July 26, 2004).]

Posts: 32 | Location: Hanover, PA USA | Member Since: 06-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
I think this is why they used to advertise "Nine out of ten Fords are still running."

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Is it carb or fuel injection?

Does leaving it in gear with the dash air on help? Both put a load on the engine.

Does it idle high?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer Bill H, it is carborator. When we looked at it, the dash air was on and it idles smooth, not a high idle, however it was a cool rainy day amd it did take several trys to get it to start.
The RV repair place is starting at the begining. They have serviced this coach all of its life. They have not cut wires yet, but it has been in for repair for over a month (on again, off again problem). My husband thinks it may have something to do with the coach batteries being over riden for the storage arangement with the 110 plug in, or a module or relay switch that expand when it gets hot.
This coach has not been used hard, it only has 29,000 miles and has been stored inside for all of it life until the last six month. Any insight on this would be helpful. We can't buy it until it runs correctly...or at least that is what the owner tells us.

Posts: 32 | Location: Hanover, PA USA | Member Since: 06-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds just like my ignition switch problem. It gets hot from bad contacts and sticks on. We were filling the gas tank when I first noticed that even though I'd turned the key off the engine was still running. I still don't know if I can just take all the screws out to lift the dash out and access the switch. You can't get at it from the front on our "87 P-30.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have a 460 gas job in my 1991 33 footer Barth to. It is Multiport Fuel Injected. The ignition relay on mine is mounted under the dash. It stuck once and caused the vehicle to stay running. I disconnected it and replaced it. The parts house listed it as a ignition relay for a pickup truck.

Try disconnectiong the wiring harness under the dash going to the key switch the next time it happens. It it shuts off then replace the key switch. I do suspect however that it would be like mine and be an ignition relay.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post