Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Toilet replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Toilet replacement
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I have a 88 Barth regal and I believe its in need of a new toilet. Cant seem to eliminate the nasty odor coming from it and I can't get water to stay in the bowl for more than 30 minutes before leaking out. We cleaned the gaskets as best we could but to no avail. I'm willing to replace the toilet but have a few questions.
1. what brand would be best?
2. what is currently installed in the unit?
3. i need directions for removing and replacing the old unit?
4. I'm planning to remove the carpet in the bath area and put down tiles so i guess this would be a good time to do both.

ANy suggestions will be greatly appricated

Russell and Donna
1988 GM 454 powered 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I replaced the toilet a while back, using this unit.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aqua-magic-st...-profile-white/27876
The main concern was that they changed the bolt-down pattern so the disc has to be replaced and rotated 1/4 turn. If you have a plywood floor like mine, it's not a big deal. Don't be scared, you'll see what I mean when you get into it.
I opted for the hand flush system, which works the same way as the foot flush, half for water, all the way for flush, and the new ones really do clean the bowl better with a minimum of water pressure. The water intake is in a different place so you may need to do a little plumbing in that regard. Hre's a pic of mine after tile and the new Hi toilet.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kc_rusty:
I have a 88 Barth regal and I believe its in need of a new toilet.
1. what brand would be best?

My preference is a Thetford Bravura. But try them out yourself. "Try before you buy". No, not "Sit before you....." Smiler

The Bravura replaced the Aqua Magic II almost as easily as repairing the AM would have been. And the Bravura is way easier to repair if the flush valve or bowl seal acts up.

quote:
2. what is currently installed in the unit?

Likely a Thetford Aqua Magic II. A picture would help us tell for sure.

quote:
3. i need directions for removing and replacing the old unit.

Again, pictures. With proper ID, the proper instructions will come to you.

quote:
4. I'm planning to remove the carpet in the bath area and put down tiles so i guess this would be a good time to do both.

Yes. Pay particular attention to the floor around the flange. If there is any rot, or even suspected rot, treat it first with a borate, like sodium octaborate. Tim Bor is a good brand. Ethylene glycol works, but it never dries. This makes any kind of adhesive or resin repair ineffective. Then repair it. Git Rot is good, or check West Systems epoxy. Or a combination of both. If it is bad, I have used Tim Bor, then Git Rot, then a fiber-thickened epoxy resin. Marine Tex or JB Weld would also be good after the Git Rot.

If ya wanna home brew, a mix of 60% borax and 40% boric acid can be heated until dissolved for an economical brew that meets Navy specs.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Your should be able to get an overhaul kit, which is what I used on my old SOB, after I discovered the alterations I'd have needed to replace.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post