Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    mouse droppings and urine in cargo hold
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

mouse droppings and urine in cargo hold
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Good evening fellow barthers. Just discovered droppings and smell of urine in cargo hold. Vacuumed all out. There is a bit of broken insulation, hope they haven't started nesting yet. What solution should I use to wash off carpet? Then what preventative measures? Do those electronic devices work? Thank you. Wally 34 foot Monarch Vancouver Island.

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Vermin eradication is a constant battle. I use bait, sticky traps, and conventional traps.

Urine neutralization is best left for professional products; I use a locally-available product called "Knock-Out" that I get from a a commercial vacuum/carpet cleaner/janitorial supply company.

I suggest you try your local equivalent. As far as urine removal, a good carpet cleaning machine is essential.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Wally,

I doubt you will find that the electronic "anti-rodent-emitting-frequency-thingies" probably only work for mice casually sipping latte within two feet of said device. Elise had an infestation in a small house she once owned and the only thing that got rid of them were traps. The electric things only helped predict which areas of the house they weren't as likely to be trapped at, but they didn't keep them out.

And please don't feel you are alone in this battle. Travel time in our coach has been forestalled until I get the new ceiling installed and cabinets put back into place. All of this work has been ongoing, but necessary as the little varmints nested above the ceiling panels and you could smell the remnants of the fiberglass nests. I'll have photos to add to my thread once I'm all finished.

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wally povajnuk:
Just discovered droppings and smell of urine in cargo hold. What solution should I use to wash off carpet?

We have had decent results with Nature's Miracle for dog, cat and mice indiscretions on carpet.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vermin eradication is a constant battle.

have you tried a cat?

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Fabric softener sheets

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
When I bought my coach, it had been plugged in in the previous owners driveway for years.

From the amount of droppings in the power cord storage area, I realized that was where they were getting in at. They were climbing up the cord and getting into the interior through the box, through a hole where the power cable went into the interior of the coach. I took a 2 liter pop bottle, cut it down one side and made a collar that I could put on the cord and keep them from getting in.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We use moth balls. We put some in a panty hose sock and drape it from the front suspension, then we put a few on top of each tire, and sprinkle a few on the ground. We haven't had any mice in a couple of years and we live on a farm, no outdoor cats.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
We use moth balls. We put some in a panty hose sock and drape it from the front suspension, then we put a few on top of each tire, and sprinkle a few on the ground. We haven't had any mice in a couple of years and we live on a farm, no outdoor cats.
Jim

I have a friend who uses Irish Spring soap bars in a similar manner. His Roadtrek had really bad pack rat chewing of the expensive electrics in the engine compartment. No visits since.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post