Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Muffler Bracket
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Muffler Bracket
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted
Anybody ever replace the muffler bracket/band that goes around the muffler and has two mounting feet on it for a Cummins B5.9 in a Breakaway? I thought that I could use a Donaldson M002119 or M002120, but the mounting spacing is different then the one that I took off. Called Spartan and they have to get back to me. I am hoping that maybe someone here has been down this road already and can give me some direction. I can probably make something work, but would like to replace with the same if possible. I hate rigging things if they do not have to be.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, Spartan got back to me. Looks like it is their part number MB-1785:

Just waiting on confirmation of the spacing on the mounting feet, which needs to be 4 1/4" to fit properly where the old one did.
Ohhhhh, and did I tell you the cost? How about $87.65 EACH! Any other ideas before I spend $200 for two muffler hangers? I found something I could rig up at the local Mack dealership, but would have to make up some sort of adapter bracket to match it up to the existing mounting holes where this attaches to the Breakaway. The bracket from Mack has the mounting feet at (using a clock for reference) 5:00 and 7:00 instead of the flat horizontal mounting at 6:00 like this one.
I know I have to do something, since the only thing holding up the muffler at this point is the exhaust pipe hanger and the exhaust manifold...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:
Any other ideas before I spend $200 for two muffler hangers? I found something I could rig up at the local Mack dealership, ...
You're pretty much doing what I would do. Donaldson has a very large selection of these braces - you might want to check with another dealership.

The only other thing I would do would be to use one that is larger and then cut it down to size and weld it.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Can you make these work? $19 each and free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/P04055-DON...&hash=item4839ad3b2b

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corey,
Right church, wrong pew. I need a band that would be 8-9" OD. But the mounting of that it better than the Mack one...
Bill,
Do you think that making an adapter plate to use the Mack ones I have found will cause me any problems as far as muffler support? I don't want any more problems with my exhaust manifold. I already have to replace 1 stud that is broke. It actually would be a piece of metal just changing the flat mounting holes on the Barth to a different angle on the bracket. I could have the local fabricator shop make them up for me with no problems. Must admit, the Mack brackets are nice.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:
Any other ideas before I spend $200 for two muffler hangers?

How is the old one? Can it be repaired or copied?

If you own a vise and a hammer, you could shape a new one (or copy the designs pictured here) and take it to a welder. Or the parts could be held together by countersunk screws, without welding.

I have an air tank underneath held in by similar brackets I bent up and welded. I bent it around a log that was too small, but the metal sprang back to just about what I wanted. Took a couple of different-diameter logs to get it right.

With a motor home, you don't need any other hobbies. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Does anything on this page grab you?

http://www.schoolbuspartsco.co...t/miscexhaust_4.html

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Does anything on this page grab you?

http://www.schoolbuspartsco.co...t/miscexhaust_4.html

Bill, you are a real jewel for providing such neat sites.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys!
Bill H-I'm not that mechanically inclined and the existing brackets are half gone (like somewhere on the road gone).
Bill-no good for my application, though I had found that site when searching the web for a part that would work for this situation.
After reviewing this dilemma again, and climbing under the Barth again to check mounting and measurements, I was convinced that I could make the Mack brackets work, but it would probably be much more labor and possibly the removal of the muffler to get to the solid bracket above it to do modifications. That is when I came back in and started searching the web AGAIN, knowing that Spartan does NOT make that bracket and somebody must have this bracket available. Not that I want to take anything away from Spartan, but $200 for two brackets??? Well, low and behold, I found it!

8½" clamp click here there is a company called IOWA80.COM that showed a bracket that might work. Called the company (1-866-446-9280) this morning and Gail gave me everything I needed to confirm as far as dimensions and they are now ordered. Oh, and the price...$53.65 shipped to me for both! I am a happy guy. ROTFLMAO
Slight revision---just got off the phone with Gail. These parts are from Dynaflex and are coming from California so I changed the shipping to 3rd day UPS for a total of $60.98. Still the best solution I found!!! And even I can fix this problem in about 20 minutes.....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
The modern way to "Let Your Fingers Do The Walking"

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pcfousj
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the fine research, I just ordered (2) myself. I was working on the Pacbrake when I noticed all my muffler brackets were rusted off.

1993 Breakaway Front Entry
Cummins 6BTA5.9 190HP Allison AT 542
Spartan Chassis Model No. EC 2242
9207 3810 30BS-11B

Posts: 17 | Location: Antioch, Fl. | Member Since: 12-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to be of help. The brackets I received were not "exact" replicas, but the important dimensions were. Biggest difference...you need to supply nuts and bolts to mount the new bracket on the existing hanger. The ones from the factory had intregal nuts as part of the bracket where you would just push the bolt thru the holes in the hanger and thread the bolt into the top of the bracket. I bought new stainless bolts, nuts with nylon inserts and flat washers to install mine.
Key to installation---loosen up (do NOT remove) the other brackets/hangers on your exhaust so you can move the muffler around a bit as you are installing the new brackets around the muffler and attaching them to the hangers. By the way, if your muffler brackets are broken or non-existent, these are the only points holding your exhaust up and not a very good thing. You have to "open" the bracket to slide it around the muffler. Needless to say, attach the brackets to the hangers first (it's a cramped area to work in) and then cinch the bracket up around the muffler. Then go back and tighten the other points you loosened up to do this installation. Finally, tighten the bolts that are on the band going around your muffler.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Picture of Pcfousj
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, my exhaust is completely off from the turbo to the tail pipe, I'm redoing it because the turbo was holding all the weight, pacbrake and all.

1993 Breakaway Front Entry
Cummins 6BTA5.9 190HP Allison AT 542
Spartan Chassis Model No. EC 2242
9207 3810 30BS-11B

Posts: 17 | Location: Antioch, Fl. | Member Since: 12-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post