Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Removing/opening generator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Removing/opening generator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
This is a long distance poll for a problem on my brother's new 1984 Regency, Detroit 8.2, Kohler 7.5 gas generator. He can't get spark to the generator and is trying to get at it. He tells me he can't see any tray, rails or way to slide it out the front. The hydraulic leveler pump and reservoir are mounted just inside the grill door so he thinks they unit does not slide out. There is a dog house between the driver and passenger that he has opened to get at the points and rotor cap but he can't get far enough into the area to reinstall and set the points. The coach is 35 feet in length with a mid door. Anyone with a similar unit or experience please tell me how to advise him. I'd go over to help but he is 1600 miles away.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
This is a long distance poll for a problem on my brother's new 1984 Regency, Detroit 8.2, Kohler 7.5 gas generator. He can't get spark to the generator and is trying to get at it. He tells me he can't see any tray, rails or way to slide it out the front. The hydraulic leveler pump and reservoir are mounted just inside the grill door so he thinks they unit does not slide out. There is a dog house between the driver and passenger that he has opened to get at the points and rotor cap but he can't get far enough into the area to reinstall and set the points. The coach is 35 feet in length with a mid door. Anyone with a similar unit or experience please tell me how to advise him. I'd go over to help but he is 1600 miles away.

Yep, the generator does not slide out.
What do you mean by “spark to the generator” – I don’t quite follow that.

Wait, he has a gas generator in a diesel rig? That’s odd, my 85 Regency with the DD 8.2 has a Diesel generator…was the Kohler a retro fit?

It’s a pain to work on – you either lie on the floor with the hatch open or crawl underneath the rig and sit next to the generator.

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
His books say it was built with the 7.5 gas Kohler. It has a 40 gal separate fuel tank for it. He has ried lying on the floor and trying to fit next to the generator on the outside. Neither one gets him close to the unit. Any idea how you would remove it for overhaul? And, do you know of any kill switches that would prevent starting it? Fuses? Also he finds the front rotors are cracked - do you have a source for these?(I am assuming they are the same as yours)

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Mine is very similar and also has the seperate 40 gal tank for the genset but is a diesel... Is his on the MCC chassis? If so he needs to contack MCR (Motor Coach Restorations) and speak with Christopher about the rotors.... I dont have/know the number offhand but it is easy to find on this site using the "Search" feature... I've worked on my genst "through" the doghouse but never really looked at it to see about removal....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
Also he finds the front rotors are cracked - do you have a source for these?
http://www.motorcoachrestoration.com/

At the bottom of the data tag project, I have this image available.

Read ALL of the posts by Leslie Hoagland. Sadly, Leslie passed away but his son Christopher is running things now.

Posts by Leslie Try to read each from the beginning of the thread. Reading only a snippet might not convey what it is I hope you gleam from the tenor of these posts.

"Brakes and suspension parts are VERY IMPORTANT items to check on the MCC Chassis."

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
I have the same generator in my 82-35. There is a remote stop attached to the side of my generator and it has a fuse in in that if blown will not let it start. Tough to get at as everything else is on it.
Mine is having tha same problem and I think it esier to drop the generator tray out the bottom.
4 bolts some wire disconnects, muffler and fuel line.

My front jacks will get me almost high enough but I need another 6" to slide it out the front.

I think my problem is in the mag (points). Havn't changed them in 10 years. (if it aint broke don't fix it.) This is the first time it has failed on me.

Will post my progress.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I have the 6.5 KVA Kohler with 2000 hours and have only had three problems any of which could be a problem only two are spark related.
There is a reset button on the control box, probably opposite the motor. It pops when the starter runs too long without starting the motor. Generally this is due to fuel flow problems. My fuel pump has a manual lever to fill the carb and if not used the starter often doesn't prime the carb before dropping the reset.
The other problem I have is mine has the automatic start and requires a 60+ watt load to start.
Other that those items the only thing is smooth operation and that was resolved by screwing the idle control down and resetting it. The passages in the carb are so small that the occasional goober will mess things up. Bill might have a better technical term than goober but I bet the meaning was conveyed. Good luck

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post