Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    diesel engines
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

diesel engines
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
while on the topic of diesels, I would like to know about normal engine maitainence.
I would not likely be doing my own oil changes / coolant R&R and such due to problems with disposal of waste oil.
So, how much would the "average' oil change go for, in the little 5.9 Cummins/Breakaway? How about the bigger CAT 3208/Regency?
Is general upkeep quite a bit more for a diesel than a 454 Chev or 460 Ford?
Thanks
Don

My 8.3 Cummins: local price: $200+ for an oil change, including filter. What hurts is the Allison 6-speed filter/fluid change: $75 just for filters, plus 25 qts of fluid - and it should be done every 18 months (low mileage). There are two fuel filters, and one coolant filter - all separate and above the oil change. Your cost will be less with the 5.9, but it can be substantial. I change all my own stuff - it is done right, it is not that hard, and costs half as much; the used fluids/filters are taken for free disposal to Pep Boys/AutoZone where I bought the fluids. MOST ROUTINE GARAGE MAINTENANCE, e.g. oil changes, IS PERFORMED BY THE 17-YEAR-OLD TRAINEE OR THE 55-YEAR-OLD ALCOHOLIC, not by real mechanics.
A big block Ford/Chevy V8 is dramatically cheaper to maintain in all respects.
My opinion: for anything less than 34' a Diesel is not necessary; not worth the money in initial cost; additional torque is nice but not really necessary. How often do you go over Vail Pass? The occasional long hill at 35mph is a small price (literally) to pay. What about cost of fuel? Gasoline has an advantage now. Aaand you don't pull your diesel into the local gas station/garage in Snake Creek, AZ for water pump repair.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited January 29, 2006).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have drove trucks withDetroit 671-6V71-8V&12V.I have heard that thay are in the bible I think it says that thay will creep crawl and scream acrossthe face of the earth .That thay did execpt the12V and it would do a good job if it would stay together and you could afford the fuel.

------------------
1975 mod25

Posts: 11 | Location: Iola,Ks. Allen | Member Since: 11-10-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post