Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    New Tires?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Tires?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hey everyone! A Barth Newbie here. I'm purchasing a 1979 Barth 24 footer with a 454 on a P30 chassis and owner says it needs new tires. I just need to know what size and brand would be ideal for this RV. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 16 | Location: Pensacola, FL | Member Since: 09-26-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Lots of opinions here. Try a search and you'll find a range of brand and size favorites. Also differences on how old is safe.

A lot depends on the chassis. The bigger diesels are way different than the GM gassers, so they will have other favorites.

The smaller GM coaches had 16 inch wheels, I'm assuming you have 19.5 inch wheels.

I have had good luck with the stock 8Rx19.5 Bridgestones. They are fairly narrow and stiff. Some P30s waddle a bit, the stiff sidewalls help reduce that. The Bridgestones wear well and are less expensive than the other brands.

Some prefer Michelins but they had some problems a while back with some RV tires and some customers were unhappy.

Goodyear RV tires are pricey but seem to perform well.

The stock width seemed really narrow for my coach so I put Goodyear 245/70 R19.5 tires on the front wheels. they are the same diameter but the 245s are about 2 inches wider

Regardless of the rating of the tires be warned the P30 rims are stamped "90 psi maximum" so keep pressures below that.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post