Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof leaks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof leaks
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hey all,

Thought I would toss this out and see if anyone can help... seems the previous owner had roof leaks and used a silver seal (tar based) roof coating. Bad choice for up here in the north, too much expansion contraction. With our weather going from 45 deg to below zero, melting snow has found it's way into our beloved baby. So I have identified three leaks: one at the single roof air (weather seal I assume), one at the windshield "actually two spots" read as a big concern due to corrosion of the wind shield frame and one at the rear bath window above and below... this brings us to a method of sealing, Kool Coat? which is the white elastomer or ??. I know I'll remove all the old sealants completely prior to repair. Until then I must wait and pray for dry weather. We are due for about 6 to 8 inches of snow through the weekend, I'll be keeping the accumulation off the roof, and temperatures will hinder any quick fixes but when the time arrives I'd like a game plan so as to get it done fast and more importantly done right. Thanks in advance Barth owners, I find myself at your mercy. We have a 1984 28ft Regal just purchased. We love this rig leaks and all please help. I have been using the search feature to answer most concerns but this one didn't get any hits. I have other things to fix on this old boy but this one needs my attention first. There is a little water damage to bath window wall, was under wallpaper, (rear bath) all other viewable surfaces in the cabin including headliner look fine.

Sam

[This message has been edited by Sam (edited March 17, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Sam (edited March 17, 2005).]

Posts: 14 | Location: Minot, ND USA | Member Since: 02-16-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
Hi Sam, when I had a similar problem I used a product labled as follows: Elixir, Plas-T-Cote, White Alkyd Fibered roof coating. I applied it as suggested on the label to the suspect area and the problem was solved in one application. It was $12.00 a quart. I'm sure there are many, this one worked for me. Good luck

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have had good results with a product called Liquid Roof or Liquid Rubber. It even fixed the chronic Fleetwood front cap leak. I believe at least one other poster here has used it. Try a search.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I did my entire roof in October 2004 with Liquid Roof. I was challenging to apply (because of consistency) but provides an unbelievably durable coating. It is sold in small quantities for patching as well.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks much, I was unsure about coating the roof until I heard from others who had done it. I will be waiting for the spring weather to get started. Thanks for the replies. I did another search for roof leaks and got hits so I guess I'm not as tech savvy as I thought. Thanks again.

Sam

Posts: 14 | Location: Minot, ND USA | Member Since: 02-16-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
You might need to re-coat the whole roof after the repairs. Here is a link to a discussion of the original ANVIL coating that was used on the Barth roof.
https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000111.html

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to do roof coating in Arizona where there might be a tempertaure change of 80 degrees in a day. We used a polyester sheeting by DuPont that lays down in the roof elastermeric coating. It comes in rolls of up to 38" wide and keeps the coating from splitting under extreme foundation shifting. No matter which top coat you use, this product is important to bridge shifts in understructure movement. I recently saw some at Home Depot. Papa Don Frazier

Posts: 14 | Location: Portland, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 04-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Minot ND. eh! For those of you in the area, there is going to be a Fmca rally there in aug, and also a bus rally near there a few days before the Fmca event.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post