Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    towing capacity
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

towing capacity
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted
Anyone know where I can find the towing capacity for my rig? 38ft Barth Regency w/ Cat 3208 w/ turbo and intercooler. It has an allison transmission. The GVWR is 29640 pounds per data tag.

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Weigh your coach with full tanks, people and baggage then deduct this from the GVWR and the result is your towing capacity.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know where I can find the towing capacity for my rig

"If your rear bumper is draggin' on the pavement, it's too heavy...."

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that GVWR includes weight of vehicle, all contents and tongue weight of the towed vehicle--- but not the weight of the vehicle being towed. I think some adds by Barth listed the towing capacity-- maybe a Regency add had such info-- I don't have the Barthmobile CD with me to look it up.

Regards Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
towing capacity for my rig? 38ft Barth Regency w/ Cat 3208

Guys,

Am I correct that probably between 7000 to 10,000lbs?

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to give my good old boy opinion....

I never heard the term towing capacity until I was probably 30 years old. We just loaded up things and pulled it by feeling.

Since, then, I've learned a few things. There is a difference between "what a vehicle is rated to tow" and "what a vehicle can tow"....engineering teaches us to calculate in for the unforseen or what people will do that you cannot predict...those are called safely factors. Manufacturers will understate towing capacities to keep out of legal problems. If a vehicle is rated for 10,000 there is a safety factor built in so you can safely probably tow 15,000 or more with some preparations... A lot of it is common sense and depends on how far, how fast and how often you want to tow. If you do it all the time, stick to arouns the rated values...for an odd trip, you can go over easily...

More recently, I towed a 12,000 tongue pull trailer with a 1/2 ton Suburban with a 350. I made a few modifications and it towed great and safely...I kept it within a 300 mile radius on the flatlands.

On the other hand, about 20 years ago, a buddy and I were going to Hershey Pennsylvania to the annual car meet. We were driving my 4.3 V-6 Astro Van pulling a 20 foot car hauler with no brakes. It pulled great and no problems. We stopped in Indianna and by fluke got a great deal on and ended up buying 8 engines... four v-12 LIncolns, 3 V-8 cadillacs, 1917, 1925 and 1946 along with a straight 8 Huppomibile with trans along with various other little goodies. The Huppomobile was so heavy that another buddy who weighed 300+ pounds, had to stand on the engine lift to counterbalance the lift so we could load it! We spent a lot of time balancing the load and it actually pulled pretty good. But it braked like crap.....I remember slamming on my brakes onetime and that really jump-started my prayer life....after that, we learned to anticipate stops and be careful. We drove from Indianna to Pennsylvania and then all the way back to Oklahoma with no problems....probably had 6000 lbs or more of engines....didn't need to know and didn't want to know....

I look back on how trailers were towed 50 and 60 years ago. Imagine in the 1950's towing a 40 foot aluminum travel trailer on a 1957 Pontiac etc...no weight distributing hitch (shop built by a local welder), no electric trailer brakes...maybe only a hitch mounted hydraulic setup....no cooling modifications...thinking of this was why I even tried pulling my 12k pound trailer with a 1/2 ton Suburban...

Sometimes we can get so caught up in "recommendations" and what "authorities" say....I think you should use common sense, take into consideration the tongue weight, the overhand of your coach (for the leverage effect of a heavy trailer) , how much extra power your coach has, whether you'll tow a lot of miles or just a few, whether towing through mountains or plains.

Hope that helps...

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The mfgers list a gcvw (gross combined vehicle weight) which is the weight of the MH and tow vehicle. Pickups also have this.

I believe in the case of the Barth I believe the max weights are provided by the chassis mfger. In my case Spartan.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your detailed input. I was thinking around 10000 pounds myself. My plan is to use the barth and my F-350(7.3 powerstroke to move my entire house hold contents from Charleston, SC to Idaho Falls, ID. Sounds like I should have things covered between the two.

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
Got to love being in the military(Navy).

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Gillig Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Must be getting some nuke training...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
More like giving some nuke training for the second time around.

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Gillig Chassis