Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine Block Heater Use
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine Block Heater Use
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
I have a 1990 Regency with the 3208TA Cat, can anyone tell me how to use the block heater?

My Stagecoach has a switch on the dash that says "Block Heater" but I have no idea what happens when it is in the on position. Does it require a power cord to be plugged in somewhere? The owners manual indicates a block heater kit was used with directions on how to use it. The problem is: I can't find the kit on the engine and it certainly isn't stowed inside the coach. Is it permanently installed on the engine only requiring a separate power cord plugged into the house or, is it a device I must insert into the engine water pump and then plug it in each time I want to use it? If this was my Buick, I'd know exactly what to look for but I don't have a clue on a Cat.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know that this'll be much help on your Regency, but I also have a block heater switch over the driver's seat.

I also discovered there was a block heater installed, but the wires went nowhere. Further investigation revealed a 120VAC outlet (hiding under the converter in a compartment under the bed) that was controlled by the block heater switch, but nothing was plugged into it.

I moved the outlet to a more convenient spot, and ran cord from the block heater and plugged it in. Now I have heat.

Generally, block heaters are on the lower side of the block, and, if wired, would have 16 gage or larger wires attached. It definitely makes a difference for cold starts.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
On my Breakaway, there is a block heater installed in a freeze plug hole on the side of the engine under the exhaust, it has a cord coming into the power panel at the foot of the bed and is connected to a duplex outlet that is controlled from the front switch over my left shoulder above the drivers side window.

Yes, you will need to have the coach plugged into shore power or the generator running to have the block heater work. If the block heater isn't in the engine or the heater is not plugged into or wired into the coach 120VAC power then you will have to find the respective wire and plug it in somewhere for heat.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"...120VAC outlet (hiding under the converter in a compartment under the bed) that was controlled by the block heater switch, but nothing was plugged into it."

My block heater has no switch: standard light-duty electrical cord from engine directly through the bulkhead to a space beneath the foot of the bed where there is a 120v receptacle. When the plug is inserted into the receptacle, the heater is on; unplug to turn it off. Aaaand... without generator or shore power there is no juice, so boondocking in very cold weather requires an electrical decision.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I'll scour the engine tomorrow in search of any plugs hanging down, or something that would indicate a block heater is present other than the switch. THANKS MUCH!

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I tried starting the gen set and found I can turn on the block heater via the switch on the dash. After letting the gen set run for a little while, I can then start my Stagecoach.

This is a great feature if you boondock since shorepower would not be available. I would still like the option of just plugging it in so I'll have to search the engine when I get a chance and see if there is a chord that will allow that.

I like this option a lot more than ether injection systems I've heard about.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It would still be a good idea to locate the block heater and make sure juice is getting to it; as I mentioned, on mine the block heater wasn't plugged into the 120VAC outlet.

BTW, ether injection should NOT be used on engines with glow plugs.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty,

I'll check it out as soon as I get it back to the house today. I think the block heater must be hooked up and working. After I had the gen set warmed up, I flipped the block heater switch to the "on" position and noticed a momentary drop in RPM on the gen set. Still, it would be good to know where the block heater is, especially since it is almost 20 years old. This Cat does not have "pre-heated" glow plugs.

I've seen other motorhomes that had the ether injection as an option but I would never use it unless I did it manually. I've heard that if you spray too much, it can cause catastrophic damage to the engine. An automatic system can fail in that it doesn't shut off and that could be a real bummer!

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the 3208 uses a pre-compustion chamber (much like my 6.5L TD does); this requires much less effort to ignite the mixture, because the volume is small.

Block heaters are better, because the whole block is heated. If yours slowed the genset, it must be a hoss! Mine's 600W.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I had a 2000 watt heater on our 8V71 in the bus I converted and it would cause the generator to give a good grunt when it was turned on.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
As a side post I must admit I have not used one this century as we now avoid the cold. If I had to use a block heater it is past time to move south.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Our coach sat in the driveway for nearly 3 weeks and when I went out and got to it on Friday morning it was 17 degrees and she wouldn't start. Neither would the genny. I plugged in the the block heater for about 2 hours and gave her a go again. It started instantly and so did the genny!
Must have fairly big wattage to work that fast.
We leave for Phoenix around Dec.16th depending on the weather. A big Colorado low smacked us with about 8" of wet snow last nite and they say freezing rain turning to snow for tomorrow.
Blah! Wish we took off 2 weeks ago.
Do

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post