Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel gauge
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel gauge
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
My fuel gauge seems to be stuck past the full mark. I have driven over 200 miles so it looks like it is not working. All the other gauges are functioning fine. Which end should I start looking over to find the problem. Should there be a voltage at the meter? and if so how much?
Thanks again Im not that great of a mechanic, But I know there are many pros on this site!
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I await answers to this. My Left [rear] tank works fine, but when I switch to Right the gauge is always pegged full. Maybe I can find the fix here.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Ground or sending unit are both likely culprits. See if you can locate the sender. Not always an easy task in any RV. Start by finding the fuel tank and what is above it.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Senders are always variable ground circuits. 12v to gauge and a resistor to ground. Placing a ground wire on the back of the gauge will either read full or,empty. If either changes then the sender is culprit. If nothing changes suspect the gauge.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If the tank was completely full, it's not unusual for it not to come off the peg for over 200 miles.

OTOH, the sender or a wire or a connection could be bad.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The mid 80's P3somethings have electric pumps in the tank, with the sender alongside. There is a 3 wire connection to the tank: 12V to the pump, common ground, and sender wire. There is also a separate ground from tank to chassis. Yours is probably similar.

If the common ground gets flaky, the voltage floats and the gauge goes nuts. If you can get to it, check the connector at the top of the tank. (While there check the fuel lines lest they smite thee later.)

Some problems are due to poor connections inside the tank, removing tank is only option then. Frowner

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I await answers to this. My Left [rear] tank works fine, but when I switch to Right the gauge is always pegged full. Maybe I can find the fix here.

Danny, if yours has the GM fuel gauge, a dead short to ground (0 ohms)should read empty, and a resistance of 90 ohms or more (even an open) should read full. Anything between 0 ohms and 90 ohms will read somewhere between empty and full.

If you have an aftermarket fuel gauge, there are other values, and it helps to know the manufacturer, or at least the country of origin. Or USA, Europe or Asia.

So, you could have a selector switch that is not making contact with the sender wire, an open wire between the selector and the sender, a bad sender, or a bad connection at the sender or a bad ground back there. On mine, I found a corroded connection inside the sender. There is a post and a photo here somewhere. I fixed it for a nickel, and the price of a new gasket.

Can you get your hands on the connection on the sender? If so, ground the center connecter. The gauge should go to empty. If it doesn't, check for an open between that point and the selector switch. If it does, provide a good ground for the sender. Mine now has a wire fro one of the sender screws to the frame.

If no help, drop the tank and check the sender.

But, first, clean all the connections.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I had a problem with my fuel gauge where it would occassionally go all the way to full and then later return to the accurate level. I contacted Spartan and the person I spoke with was extremely helpful. They sent me two documents showing the various fuel tanks installed on their chassis. If you have a Spartan chassis I can forward these documents to you. You may need to contact Spartan to find out which one is on your particular coach.

There are three contacts on my gauge. Two of the conductors go to the sensor, a ground and a 12VDC supply to the sensor. The third contact is for 12VDC input. I have isolated my problem to the contacts on the sensor. I have cleaned the contacts and replaced the two connectors. When I take my next trip later this month I will be able to tell if it fixed the problem or not. I will keep this forum posted.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
The terminals on the sender of our tank are quite close together. A couple of years ago I nudged one and my apparent fuel economy was elevated to fantastic. It did however return to normal when the wires were separated and taped.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
But, OTOH, just think what great fuel mileage you're getting Big Grin

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post