Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Draining house batteries while on AC
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Draining house batteries while on AC
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Would anyone have a clue why when I'm plugged into AC the house batteries go dry. The Norcold Frig has a monitor on it that keeps flashing "dc low" even though it is set to AC. Everything else works (including the frig) so I think the inverter has to be working. If I turn the house switch off the frig won't run so I have to leave it on. Any ideas would be helpful. I do have a new Inverter left over from Jim Mays coach (he had sent it to Barth and they never used it) so I could try installing that but don't want to go to the trouble if that isn't the problem.

Posts: 75 | Location: Wyoming, MI USA | Member Since: 05-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Vanse:
Would anyone have a clue why when I'm plugged into AC the house batteries go dry. .

Doug, do you mean the batteries are literally going dry, as in boiling out their liquid? If your batteries are going dry, they are being overcharged.

Or do you mean they are going flat, as in low voltage?

We were in Wyoming a couple of weeks ago. The sun wasn't.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my house batteries also has a tendency to dry out after long periods on shore power. I'm assuming it is being overchared. Recently, after being on shore power for 3 weeks and getting ready for another roadtrip, one of the house batteries required 40 ounces of water. The other house battery (in tandem) never loses any water at all and I wonder why?

Chicken-Little dog

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The batteries are not boiling over so I guess they are just losing all power. I checked the waer level and can see water when I pull the caps so I assume that is not the problem. I really appreciate your help. You should be here now, it's absolutely georgous, except for my battery problem! If I run the engine for just a few minutes the couch batteries register 3/4 full? but go back to empty when I turn the engine off.

[This message has been edited by Doug Vanse (edited June 02, 2005).]

Posts: 75 | Location: Wyoming, MI USA | Member Since: 05-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Vanse:
If I run the engine for just a few minutes the couch batteries register 3/4 full? but go back to empty when I turn the engine off.

Hmmm........going from empty to 3/4 in a few minutes doesn't sound right. I suspect that meter is just reading a surface charge. Is it a voltmeter or what?

The first thing to do is charge your batteries fully with a good automotive charger. Let them sit for a day with the grounds disconnected and take a hydrometer reading. This will tell you how good the batteries are. If the batteries are good, then we will need to check for drain and proper charging.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogill:
One of my house batteries also has a tendency to dry out after long periods on shore power. I'm assuming it is being overchared. Recently, after being on shore power for 3 weeks and getting ready for another roadtrip, one of the house batteries required 40 ounces of water. The other house battery (in tandem) never loses any water at all and I wonder why?

Chicken-Little dog

Sounds like it's hydrometer time.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
So, Doug, how is it coming?