Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Life expectancy of firestone airbags
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Life expectancy of firestone airbags
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted
I have the Jet Air Ride suspension with Firestone air bags and they are reaching ,I presume 20 years of age. Would the airbags , like tires have an expected life expectancy. Although they have some cracks I can not tell if that is normal.
I am inclined to replace to be proactive but would like any thoughts or ways to determine condition.
The Jet air ride (no longer manufactured) is an automatic ride leveling system mounted in the rear only.
Also any input difficulty of replacing these.

Thanks much.

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
To

quote:
To

Posts: 4 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Member Since: 09-13-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where can I find the answer to this?

Posts: 4 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Member Since: 09-13-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where can I find the answer to this?

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Tires last 6 to ten years. Airbags are not as prone to the sun or heat buildup, but have the same basic material characteristics as tires. Therefore, one can assume they are probably good for no more than ten years.

The big difference is really the "consequence" of pushing them to failure. A tire may go twenty years before failure, but who wants to take that chance. While there may be specific scenarios where an airbag failure could have dire consequences, I personally would not be afraid of an airbag failure as it will simply drop down to the hard rubber mount. It will affect ride and could affect handling. A lot will depend on the number of airbags on your rig.

So............replace them now if you're a stickler for preventative maintenance.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My 1984 tag axle air bags still hold air. There is a slow leak that the automatic pump takes care of every few hours.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I think the failure mode is seldom catastrophic most often just aggravating leakage. My son was in a marching band in the mid 1980s. Their bus was of indeterminate age but was post war (maybe even post Korean war). The order of the day was to count noses, start bus and go to breakfast while the bus rose off the ground and was ready to have its brakes released. No one recalled the year this was not normal.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
posted Hide Post
1989 Regal 25’, small P-30 chassis, 12,380 GVWR, 16” wheels. Chassis built in 1988, took delivery of coach April, 1989.

First Firestone air bag failure in August, 1997; would not hold air. Replaced both bags (recommended). 41,000 miles on coach.

Second failures in October, 2006; both bags not holding air. Replaced both. 65,000 miles on coach.

Tire and air bag pressures were checked regularly and always before any kind of a trip. Air bag failures were picked up that way rather than by any ride or handling issue.

It looks like age is probably the primary factor in failure -- in this case, about nine years.

Bill Beard
Barth Owner Emeritus (three times)
1978 24' 454 Chevy
1988 Regal 28' 454 Chevy
1989 Regal 25' 454 Chevy

Posts: 25 | Location: Evansville, IN | Member Since: 11-15-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post