Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator Operating Problem
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator Operating Problem
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Bruce: when you fire up the generator, is should be producing AC voltage right away however, your shore/generator relay in the coach has a time delay so that it will not power up the coach right away. It is done this way to allow the generator to have stable 60 hz power before loading it with the coach load.

HOWEVER-

The generator must be able to produce voltage immediately upon start up and yes there is a relay that will then maintain the "ON" position to keep the generator running after you release the generator start button.

If no AC is present within the unit, it will shutdown immediately when you release the start button.

What you are finding is the symptom not the root cause.

Could be-

Generator field circuit is defective and not energizing the generator. Could be bad diodes or AC voltage regulator in the control panel.

Bad connection between the AC regulator and the field coils in the generator (less likely)

Run sustain relay defective, could also be a relay driver circuit,

On my generator (Dometic 7 KW propane) there is a on/off switch on the front panel. My generator would sometimes start but quit, I found the on/off switch to be defective. These switches are sitting right on the front panel and subject to a lot of contamination and you did mention that it quit while driving in a big rain storm. Perhaps one or more switch have been exposed to water.

If you have any toggle switches on the front panel, I would suggest you rapidly switch them on and off many times, it may clean off some contamination and allow the generator to run.

If the above doesn't cure the problem, then you have other issues internally either in the control box or the generator itself and will require further trouble shooting.

There is nothing wrong with the engine or fuel system, if it starts and runs holding the switch. It is an electrical problem not an engine related problem.

Be careful when testing, if the generator is producing voltage (AC) it can hurt if you get across the wrong points or cause further damage.

If you would like to discuss I can PM you my phone # if you don't have it.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
On my Generac, there is an instruction to hold the start button for 10 seconds, in order to allow a circuit which "flashes the field coils" to perform its task.

Maybe you have something similar, and maybe a connection or the circuit itself is troubled. It is better to replace a printed circuit board than field coils.

Matt

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Keep those posts coming. Especially if you might have an idea where the control relay is located on a 1993 version of this Kohler 7KW LP generator. My breakers for the two hot legs is located on the front of the generator, to the right of the oil filter. I thought they were just the breakers that fed the transfer switch that then fed the 120/240V into the coach. I did switch them on and off a few times. I don't believe they have anything to do with this start circuit, but maybe i'm wrong.
Ed---please PM me your number.
I hope to be able to get to this over the next few nights and hopefully have it working by the end of the weekend. Unfortunately, I do not think my generator "slides out" anywhere. Seems to be ridgidly mounted in the front of the coach.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Bruce did you receive my PM?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it. Going to call you now.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Played around with the generator this past weekend. I went to my PM's to get your number to call you and cannot find it anymore. I probably did something to delete it by mistake Computer. Can you send it to me again? I would like to discuss where I am on this with you. It ain't looking good...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

posted Hide Post
Anybody have an actual service manual (not the operation and installation manual) for the Kohler 7CCKM propane generator? I have someone that might be able to help me, but he only has Onan information. He told me if I can get my hands on the Test Specifications for this generator he will give it a whirl. No charge to me if he can't fix it, which I thought was real nice of him.
I really wish there was someone closer than 2-3 hours away that does repairs on these things...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

posted Hide Post
quote:
O Can you send it to me again? I would like to discuss where I am on this with you. It ain't looking good...

Bruce you have a PM

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
I've been away from the site for a bit. Kathleen got laid off right before Labor Day. I got laid off the day after Labor Day. But that's another story for another thread sometime...
Wanted to post that after many attempts to find my generator problem (with the help of Ed's suggestions), I finally got our Barth to a Kohler service center. And 3.5 hours later we found the problem to be two (2) $7.50 brushes. The tech said that he had checked them in the beginning of his attempt to find out what was wrong, but did not see any problem with them until he went through most everything else and decided to start over again because his readings were not making sense. As he went to move the wire on one brush to check out the one behind it, the wire fell out of the brush. He replaced both brushes and we were back up and running again. So, 5 hours at the service center, $300 in labor (ouch) and $15 in parts we were on the road again. As I mumbled about the time and cost, Kathleen kept reminding me that it could have been worse...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:

And 3.5 hours later we found the problem to be two (2) $7.50 brushes. The tech said that he had checked them in the beginning of his attempt to find out what was wrong, but did not see any problem with them until he went through most everything else and decided to start over again because his readings were not making sense. As he went to move the wire on one brush to check out the one behind it, the wire fell out of the brush.

Grrr..I don't blame you. If he checked out the brushes first why didn't he "move the wire" then? (Besides checking their size due to wear and noting lack of cracks, etc what else is there to "checking brushes"?)

I would approach the service manager with the bottom line... 3.5 hours to replace brushes (a "normal wear and tear" maintenance issue?) That tech would not work for me very long with results like that...

I wish I could have been around, brushes would be the first thing I would check...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
[quote]So, 5 hours at the service center, $300 in labor (ouch) and $15 in parts we were on the road again.
It gauls me to hear of high charges caused by a "tech."'s incompetence. There should be some sort of retribution for these acts. Violence

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Bruce, I think I owe you an apology. When you asked for the manual this summer, I didn't respond because:

I have a gasoline Kohler, different Model #

I thought mine was just an owner/operator manual

Figured someone else might have the right one, or already on the site.

My manual is indeed a service manual (albeit gasoline and different model) I just looked closer and I think there is much you might have been able to use on the generator itself. I just got done scanning and I loaded it on the site here:

Service_Manual.pdf

I'm really sorry I didn't catch it sooner, might have saved you some money... You can slap me when we next meet wack

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
You bet!! Had a similar deal in Allentown last June. Oil pressure gauge not working. 3.5 hours@$80 per hour and they said they couldn't figure it out. A non-rv tech looked at it, saw one of the three wires on the gauge had come off, put it on (15 minutes) and everything worked. Tried to get my $280 back--lots of luck.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:
I know that someone recently had the same problem as I am having, but cannot find the post. One day I will learn how to do a search to find a particular post head bang
My generator worked fine during the entire trip to the GTG until we stopped at the rest area after driving thru a torrid rainstorm Sunday night. I should say that while going thru the rain I had the generator running to power the A/C, but it shut off somewhere during the storm. If I hold the start button down, the generator will start and keep running. But as soon as I let the button go, it stops. Doesn't matter if it is from the dash mounted or generator mounted switch. I threw both breakers on the front of the generator and reset them. Is there another "reset switch" that I cannot find or do I have another problem? I thought that maybe something had gotten wet, but tried again once I got home after driving all day and I still have the same problem.
I think there is an answer on this already, I just can't seem to find it.... hmm
wally 34ft monarch van isle.Propane hangs up in a wet enviroment.Make sure that you have plenty of it,as it dependant on liquid.I assume you are on propane.The other day i had to turn off my furnace
to run my generator.Next time you have problems look at your tank,i am certain you will find condensation on it.wally .

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post