Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Kohler 7000 broken starter mount
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kohler 7000 broken starter mount
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted
Just a few days ago, I was saying how my old trustee Kohler ran so well.

Today, I went out to start it would not engage...it just whined. I went out and part of the starter mounting bracket had broken off. This bracket is a cast aluminum flange that appears to be an integral part of the block. Apparently this is a scenario with the Kohler generators.

Anyone else dealt with this before? Any luck with mods or fabricating a bracket? All I find is to strip the block and TIG the bracket back????

Any ideas?

If you have a Koehler, you want to be sure that it has a small metal support bracket added onto the back of the starter...a lot like the additional support bracket a 454 starter has...from research, this bracket was an update Koehler did on the later generators.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Ouch. Sounds like a PITA. When was the upgrade bracket added? I have a 7000 genset, I'll have to look for that bracket. It's only got about 300 hrs on it but I'd hate to repair if the problem can be prevented. Thanks for the heads-up.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Do you have a vocational school near you? If so, they might be able to weld the mount. Just a thought.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll have to look for that bracket.

I found a picture of the bracket at www.weekendfreedomachines.com

I Googled "kohler broken starter mount"

I have a close friend who is an accomplished oil-field welder. He is pretty sure he can weld it. I think he said TIG with special rods and preheating the areas.... I took out the generator this afternoon after church. Not to difficult, took about 2 hours to do it all. I'll take it to his shop tomorrow and strip the block to where he can weld it.

Earlier this week, there was discussion about replacing a generator. I still would prefer a Honda 6010....but I came across a sale on Generac 6500G RV generators. The reviews look good and they come in an insulated metal case. (I have a Generac 18K natural gas backup generator at my home and have had good luck with it.) Sticker is $4310 and they had them at $2099.....kind of tempting...also, I found someone on Craigslist about 2 hours away with the same identical generator that is brand new, never installed. Might be able to get him down way under the $2000 range or less....again, kind of tempting.....

If you have a Kohler, be sure and put on a rear support clip and check the tightness of your starter bolts!!!!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:

I found a picture of the bracket at www.weekendfreedomachines.com

I Googled "kohler broken starter mount"

Is THIS it?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Thanks for that...I tried and tried and couldn't get it to do that...

As we would say around here... "You're handier than a pocket on a shirt."

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Interesting read... Thanks for the links.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Latest news.

My friend the welder, found out that we CANNOT weld the cast aluminum. Technically it might be able to be done but there is no guarantee it would hold.

We took the generator apart.
The front engine mount/bracket is bolted to the bottom of the cast aluminum block and is directly under the starter. He's going to duplicate this engine mount/bracket assembly in steel plate and add a mounting boss to mount the starter.

So instead of the starter mounting to a cast-in mounting bracket which is part of the block, it will hopefully mount to a steel plate bracket that will be part of the engine mount below it.

We'll see how it works...

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Take plenty of pictures...

Is your engine a Kohler K582?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
sorry but you can weld cast castings must be preheated (die cast diemaker for 40 years) just don't get it to hot
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lenny,

I'm still in the process of getting a mount fabricated in steel to replace the cast mount.

Can you recommend someone that could weld the original cast mount so I could keep it as a backup?

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If it were mine, I would make a call to Paul Crowell in Wilmington CA. 310 518 3499.

He has been my welder for difficult projects since the '60s, and has a stellar reputation in Southern California racing circles.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post