Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    belt replacement 1986 Barth Regal 28' 454
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

belt replacement 1986 Barth Regal 28' 454
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am a new Barth owner and it looks like I am going to enjoy the experience. However, I need to replacd all the belt with nothing to show the way. All help will be Appreciated.
greenmabsn

Posts: 3 | Member Since: 04-15-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
One smog pump or two? Can you read the numbers on the old belts? Sometimes you need to lie underneath and turn the engine by remote starter switch or remote wife.

Dash air conditioning? Chev or aftermarket?

If you have one AIR pump on the right under the alternator, and a Sankyo compressor on the left, I have numbers for my 84 that could help.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One air pump on the right, compressor on the left. Sounds like the same setup. No old belts to look at.
greenmabsn

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenmabsn:
No old belts to look at.
greenmabsn

So, you have a Barth with no belts?

Bummer. If you had old belts installed, even without legible numbers, you could have them measured.

On other way is to have a real long belt that has been cut, and use it to wrap around the pulley run and mark it to measure.

Anyway, here is what my 84 has. It could be the same as yours.

Mine has an aftermarket air conditioner (ARA?), using a Sankyo compressor with two grooves on the pulley. The forward groove is not used.

There are three grooves on the crankshaft pulley assembly, with the forward one being larger diameter.

There are two grooves on the water pump pulley, with the forward one being larger.

There is a single smog pump on the right side, under the alternator, with one groove on the pulley.

Alternator has one groove.

The belt numbers and their positions are as follows:

Front belt, Gates 15495(7495), 50 1/8”, wraps crank, water pump, alternator, and single smog pump on right side.
NAPA NBH257495 Angle Degree:36 Imperial Length:50.08" (1272mm) Top Width:.41" (10mm)

Middle belt, Gates 15590(7590), wraps crank, power steering, air cond, water pump.
NAPA NBH257590 Angle:36 Imperial Length:59.58" Top Width:.41" (10mm)

Rear belt, Gates 15415(7415 or 7417?), wraps crank and power steering.
NAPA NBH257417 Angle:36 Imperial Length:42.08" Width:.41" (10mm)

I now use Gates belts, as they ride high enough in the grooves to get a good grip. Some other brands are a trifle narrower. Daycos are good, but I have not measured their width. Be sure if you buy NAPA that you get the higher priced US made belts. The cheaper ones made in Mexico are garbage. Don't ask.

I carry my old ones as spares in a vacuum sealed Foodsaver bag.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi bill
The number worked just fine. I now am in the position to tune up the engine and get the Barth home and start working to get it up to standards. Looking fwd to putting it on the road. The Barth community is very intersting. Thanks again.