Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fantstic Fan and TurboMaxx compared.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fantstic Fan and TurboMaxx compared.
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
RV Roof Fans…… ….Fantastic and TurboMaXX Compared

Our coach has one of each. They each have their own pluses and minuses.

NOISE (meas. by me) ...FF..............Turbo/MaXX

Low ................... 62dbA@1 ft .....Under 50.

Med.........................66...............63-64

High........................68.................68

--------------------------------------------------

Amp Draw (meas. by me).. FF .......Turbo/MaXX

Low................................1.86........1.4

Med...............................2.29........2.45

High...............................3.0.........4.0

-------------------------------------------------

Airflow from manuf.....FF...........Turbo/Maxx

Low..........................478 CFM.......500 CFM

Med..........................653 CFM.......680 CFM

High.........................920 CFM ......983 CFM

Fantastic:

+ Takes up less real estate on the roof.

+ Lets in more light, especially with a clear lid.

+ Screen easier to remove for cleaning and dead bug removal.

+ Optional easier removal screen available.

+ Cleaner roof appearance. Looks just like a regular vent.

+ Does not shade solar panels as much as a TurboMaXX.

+ Cleaner inside appearance, as controls are built in to trim surround instead of an add-on wart that
sticks down for tall people to bump.

+ Insulated dome available.

+ All Maintenance can be done easily w/o climbing on roof, except dome replacement.

+ Motor and connections protected inside the RV when lid is closed.

+ Durability---so far so good.

+ Uses less power on high.

- More difficult installation, involving cutting and drilling roof…...However, they have added a clamp-in mounting FF, which should be easier to install, and is adv to require no drilling. My experience is with the old screw-on installation, so no firm opinion here.

- Must be closed in rain to be really sure of no incoming rain. Optional auto rain closer not always reliable.

-..Noisier by 2-3 dbA at 1 ft on med

- Noisier by over 12 dbA on low. (My meter would not even measure the TurboMaXX on low). Noise
same as TM on high.

- uses more battery power on low and med

- Depending on the angle of the sun, the sun’s rays can hit the thermostat sensor directly, and the
fan will cycle on and off, on and off, etc. This can be annoying. A clear lid makes this situation
more likely to occur.

TURBOMAXX

+ FAR easier to install. No roof penetration or sealing necessary. Goes right over existing vent.

+ Quieter by 2-3 dbA @1 ft on Medium

+ Quieter by over 12 dbA @ 1ft on Low speed. (too quiet for meter)

+ Slightly higher flow, if both manufacturer figures are accurate.

+ Lower current draw on low and med.

+ Operates in rain.

+ Can be left open if rain is expected. .

+ Hood can be painted on the inside with a dark color to block light if desired, as in a
bedroom to prevent unwanted awakening by sunrise.

- Higher current draw on High

- Hood takes up more real estate on the roof, and sticks up higher. This can shade solar panels,
reducing their output considerably.. A Deal-Breaker for us. The TM will be replaced with a FF
for this reason.

- Does not let in nearly as much light. At best, the light is reduced by a smoke vent lid and the white TM dome.

-Clear or smoke hood not available. Clear lid is not available for the standard
RV vents that must be used with TM. If the skylight effect is desired, both the lid and the TM
shroud can have square cutouts covered with clear Lexan. This is simple, but takes a little
time.

- Clunky, bulky appearance on roof.

- Clunky bulky interior control pod attaches to existing vent, sticking down a couple of inches. Can
be a little difficult to mount.

- Screen not easily removable for cleaning. Control pod must be removed before screen.

- No quick removal screen available.

- Fan and motor maintenance must be done on roof.

- Motor and connections exposed to dust and humidity 24/7

- Dome warranted two years to original purchaser who can find receipt,

- Customer svc seems good. My motor developed a squeak, and they sent me a new one, even though it was out of warranty.

You will notice more pluses than minuses for Fantastic., but everybody will weigh each plus and minus differently.

The location of the fan could also be a factor in how you consider noise. It was mandatory to use a FF in our living room due to roof space availability, and the noise on low is bothersome. YMMV If you play the TV loud or have a loud generator, this will not be a factor.

The location of the fan could also be a factor in how you consider light. In a bedroom, The FF, even with an opaque lid, if left open lets in a lot of light at dawn. The TM can be painted with an opaque paint so you can have it open and running at night without bright sunlight waking you up too early in the morning. The quietness of the TM could also be important in a bedroom. Conversely, the FF clear lid is a better skylight than the TM if that is what you want, like in the living room or bath.

And, the TM can shade your solar panels in winter, when the sun is low, depending on panel location.

Lots of trade-offs, depending on your situation and the location of the fan. .

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, the PO installed a TM on top of a Fantastic! The FF is intact, lid included; it feeds the TM. With both on, I can MOVE some air...have FFs in the kitchen and the bath, so I have good venting.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post