Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Leaks, or not?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Leaks, or not?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted
I am in the process of replacing carpet in my 38' '96 Barth with floating laminate flooring, from kitchen tile forward. There is evidence of water stains along the passenger side. The wood sub-floor is sound, no rot or dry rot, so I think it is not a large problem.

This unit is aluminum all around. Is there any history with Al skin leaks?

I suspect the window. I read herein about removing the interior window frame and resealing. I have never removed them, as I was afraid the outer frame and window would simply fall out. Can the inner frame be removed with no such dire consequences?

On the other hand, since 10 years history has produced no rot, perhaps I could ignore the possibility of a leak.

My main reason for concern is the problem that water can cause with the laminate flooring, warping, etc. I have never noted any dampness in the carpet, and would have been none the wiser if the stains were not there.

Condensation in the wals a possibility?

Hoping to get some insite from the Barth Barros!

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
You might not have a leak. The drains that are built into the channel of the window may have been plugged up with a leaf or the coach was parked at a bad angle. Try spraying it down and checking it again.

I had a leak on the passengers side sliding window for the co-pilot. I removed the window and scrapped the caulk out of the frame. I re-caulked it with the proper window seal that comes in a roll and reset it. No leaks now.

The window caulk kept the window from falling out after I took the inside trim ring off. The screws are the square tipped ends. Don't try using a regular screw driver as it will only drive you insane. Get the proper square tip bits.

After the trim ring comes off of the inside your going to attempt to push the window out. Good luck with that. The window will fight you every step of the way. Use a putty knife to break the bead all of the way around. Have another person helping you and use even pressure while pushing it out.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A plastic spring clamp (or C-clamp with the contact points wrapped in tape) will hold the window in place. It's doubtful that, even without the clamps, the window would fall oout, because the bedding compound would hold it in.

Due to the Barth's insulation, I don't think condensation is the problem, but best is to inspect for the source of the water stains - it could be as simple as someone having spilled a glass of water there, however. Be thankful it wasn't Coke or some other similiar concoction - I got my van from my then brother-in-law, and it four attacks with my commercial carpet cleaner to get the crud out of the carpets. (The who-knows-how-old sandwich and french fries secreted in one of the side consoles is another story.)

Anyway, the water stains aren't likely a major problem since there's no dryrot, but dose the windows nearby with lots of water and see if any shows up...emphasize the front edge, as some leaks show up only when the coach is moving in serious rain. It wouldn't hurt to apply some rot preventive (like copper napthenate), but let it dry thoroughly, then seal with varnish...this is nasty stuff, so be forewarned.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I had a serious leak in the roof over the driver's compartment. Couldn't see where the water entered, so I sealed every place on the front part of the roof that looked remotely suspicious, including the hold-down screws for the running lights.

No problems any more with that, but parked in heavy rain with one front corner slightly low, runoff from the roof overcame the seal on the top of the driver's side slider. Cured that by installing drip rails above the windows on both sides. No further problems.

I suspect that a low front corner taking all the runoff from a heavy rain would cause similar problems in other rigs. You can't make a slider water tight and still have it slide.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
I suspect that a low front corner taking all the runoff from a heavy rain would cause similar problems in other rigs. You can't make a slider water tight and still have it slide.

This is another place I had a slight problem with. A block of wood under the right front tire took care of that.

Bill

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Thx for the replies.

I will do some water tests.

To late for the rot preventative, as I have already painted the sub floor. The carpet I removed had urine stench, so I painted the sub-floor to with odor kill paint in case it was also in the wood. Previous owner had some kind of pet. It took me 3 years to admit that it is the carpet that smells.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post