Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    HWH Jack Failure
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

HWH Jack Failure
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
Last year, the Stagecoach began having issues with the jacks not extending correctly. It seemed they were taking too long to extend. I just recently started getting the coach ready for a trip only to find the left rear jack no longer extends. Other jacks are working correctly. The RV dealership said the entire system needed to be replaced and I was told here in the forum they were incorrect and that the system probably had a leak somewhere that could be corrected.

The Stagecoach is in for service for annual items plus the jacks, wipers and a oil leak. The service center is telling me the hydraulic fan pump is bad and needs to be replaced. The part number is 53-24464-1 and the cost is $1000 + labor. Having been told something else at the dealer, I'm reluctant to go this route either, any input is greatly appreciated. Does this sound reasonable or should I go elsewhere?

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Bill, see if you can get in contact with Tom Johns. He just went thru all this with his hydraulic fan and could be some help. I think he even has an extra pump now.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have a bill where my hydraluic fan had been replaced and seems like the part did cost abou $900.00 or so. Like Nick said Tom Johns in Kentucky just had one put it and then had his rebuilt. Call him and get the information. If you need it replaced, you will sureely hear it. I could hear Tom's clank real bad.
On the jacks, a dealer told me the same thing, and while at a FMCA convention, I had HWH look at them and told me they could replace any part on the jacks. They checked mine it was just a bad cable from battery to motor. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I need to re-phrase what I said. The hydraulic fan is leaking and, as a result, the jacks are not working properly. I haven't heard any strange noises coming from back there at all. I'll see if I can get in touch with Tom Johns. I'm curious why they can't rebuild mine. This particular service center seems to be pretty good at R&R with new parts but not repairing old parts.

Most of you won't remember this but, when I first bought the Stagecoach, this same shop told me I needed to replace the turbo and some other part at a cost of $4000+ + labor. Of course, I was told here at barthmobile.com to get a 2nd opinion so I took it to an authorized Cat dealer. I don't remember what the charge was for the adjustment but the entire service bill was $800, involving oil change and other misc., so I'm not very trusting of this place. Unfortunately, they are the only shop in town that will work on a coach and most places highly recommend them. The Cat dealer is an hour away and VERY inconvenient to use. It is beginning to look like I'm about to be inconvenienced again but that is certainly better than paying through the nose when it isn't necessary.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Are they saying that the jack malfunction is a result of the leaking fan?

First of all I don't think there is a direct tie between the hydraulics of the main engine and the jack system. normally the jacks have their own electrically operated hydraulic pump.

When a jack doesn't extend (or retract) and the pump operates, it is usually a bad switch or a broken connection to the solenoid valve controlling the non-operative jack. Jack systems usually have their own reservoir and must be topped off, if air gets in the system jacks will be slow and if two-three of the four go down, maybe not enough fluid to drive the fourth.

These guys are NOT doing you any favor!!

Second, how bad is the fan motor leaking?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree - any tech who claims the fan and levellers are connected is a liar or idiot.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
Can,t somebody replace the part that is leaking ? Somebody put it together.I have not seen one .Is it the same fan that cools the motor?Doesn't a hydro lick have seals just like your wheel bearing?Almost anything can be rebuilt unless it is cheap and stamped together.Part of my job when I was working was to rebuild machines and the parts that go with them.My boss would not let me buy new unless I tried to fix it first.
lenny
PS I WOULD ASK THE COMPANY THAT BUILT IT IF THEY REBUILD THEM.THANKS FOR LETTING ME RANT

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Rusty, you are 100% right. I almost fell out of my chair laughing reading that the jacks and the fan motor were connected. I have been in touch with Bill. Yes I do have an extra fan motor because my Cat dealer told me it was junk and couldn't be rebuilt. My shop that use to rebuild all our parts when I owned a Boat Yard told me there wasn't anything wrong with it but the seals were dried out. They resealed it for $250.00 Kind of makes you wonder. Needless to say Cat in Lexington, Ky will never see me again. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I checked with Gillig for a fan motor when I heard a noise that seemed unusual and they were nowhere near $1000. (It turned out to be a fan blade hitting a hose when a Cat Dealer bent the hose clamp too far) I seem to remember $500 but you can call them. There is no connection between the motor driven hydraulic pump and the levelers. On my 3208T Regency there is an independent reservoir in the front besides the generator compartment that holds the fluid and an electric pump, also mounted in the front. Your HWH Owners Manual gives part numbers and all are available. They recommend regular lubrication of the jack pistons and the hinges to prevent problems. I recommend calling Gillig (with your VIN last 4 numbers), getting their info on the fan motor and then calling HWH for the parts, if you need them. After you replace the fan motor you could locate an HWH service center and take trip - another excuse to travel.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I called the shop and basically cancelled any work they were planning to do on the jacks. I told him to go ahead and take care of the oil leak and he said that is the hydraulic oil pump that is leaking. Another shop said it was engine oil leak. That shop was installing seat belts so I'm not sure how they happened to be back there to see it but, who knows. I'm going to see the Stagecoach tomorrow or Monday so I can see what they're referring to concerning the leak.

The only other item I had it in for was the air operated wipers. I'm not inclined to have them work on that either. I need to do a search here on the site because I know the wipers have come up a few times and at least once it was for a coach like mine. Thanks for the responses!!!

P.S. This shop also told me Gillig had gone out of business! Colorado Springs is not that small, you'd think we'd have some knowledgable shops around here but so far, I guess not!

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Bill, chere on here for parts for the wipers.
sky

Wiper Parts

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Geeze... I go to bed early Thursday to get on an airplane Friday morning (then delayed 3 hours) I get home late Friday just to go to work. Wake up Saturday morning to find this frightful post. Eeker
quote:
Rusty, you are 100% right. I almost fell out of my chair laughing reading that the jacks and the fan motor were connected.
Has these service centers lost their collective mind! Based on your past experience... I wouldn't let them change a wiper blade!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post