Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Propane Problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Propane Problem
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jer711
posted

We developed a propane leak which turned out to be where the copper line goes into the regulator. I replaced the regulator and hooked up wiring to the solenoids. Attempted to bleed air off and could not get flow. Failed to diagnose so turned over to the shop and they say it was a grounding issue. They ran a new ground wire Friday before we left and bled air off - was able to demonstrate propane flow as we lit stove. Got to our destination and had no hot water. Red Light at switch above door was on, could not light stove, and frig would not ignite on propane. Would like to know where I can get new solenoid(s) and if there is anything we may have missed. Tired of broken things. Thanks!

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
The solenoid valve is most likely ASCO. Most plumbing supply houses should have them. You can use the distributor locator on the ASCO website to locate one near you.

Locator

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Am I seeing 2 solenoids after the regulator. Are they both wired?

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
In doing more research - yes there are two solenoids and both wired. I think the system is CGI which is no longer in business. It appears this system was widely used by Fleetwood as well and that today, according to some quick research, there is nothing else like it. The solution I was given that if the solenoids are bad, simply remove them from the line. As long as the LP detector is working, and no leaks detected, it is a safe option. The solenoid simply does not allow gas flow unless the detector is powered - a safety feature. I have been told that newer RV's don't have them, only a manual valve to turn the LP off and on, and of course an on-board LP detector. I don't have enough experience or research yet to refute it but have been told by several so far.

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
Yes, I tried to replace the detector/switch near the floor and found out that the company is out of business and that there are no similar set ups. I ended up replacing it with a simple switch in the same location as a master on/off switch for the propane. Works well but if you have kids scurrying around it might be a problem as it is possible to switch the gas on or off by accident.

If anybody has a source for the detector type switch I would love to know about it!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
solenoid

is it this one:

http://www.pacificrvparts.com/...ID=32&DID=93&CID=281

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
The CCI Pre-Tell II system is directly replaced by the Safe T Alert 70-742-R-BR-KIT. (Brown, also available in White and Almond) It comes complete with a new combination LP/CO detector w/relay and a replacement gas valve. We keep them in stock and as with everything Barthmobiler's need that I have, a special price. $216.46 + UPS

As for the redundant solenoids, unless there is another independent control switch somewhere, there almost has to be...... a second solenoid would not be needed.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.