Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Sound Absorbing Stuff fo Genset Compartment
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Sound Absorbing Stuff fo Genset Compartment
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
I didn't realize that your generator is in back, our mechanical layout must be very different between the 28 ft and 30 ft breakaway. Mine is in the front and thanks goodness it is, any less weight in front, the front wheels would be off the ground all the time. In fact, I am looking at ways to move the coach batteries (4 T-105s and the inverter) up front, it will be a lot of work but should result in much less tail wag!

Ed,

My genset's up front; the "engine" and "radiator" to which I referred are those of the generator.

I'm still puzzled (as I bet you are) by the "tail-wag" your 30' has, because mine, with a much shorter wheelbase-to-LOA, is rock-solid. I get a nudge when a semi passes, or when crosswinds get over 20mph, but at times I can run a mile on the interstate without moving the steering wheel. It's actually quite relaxing to drive.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
OK, now clear! I have talked with Spartan design guys and they all say that if the weight ratio front to back is less then 35% you will get some wag, I and running 30%

After replacing the track bar, MUCH BETTER! Steering is still off and I am on my third steering box. Everything is new up front now and the only thing is the tires. YES, I have tried all kinds of pressures and nothing make any difference. Yes I am puzzled! I'll get it but this has been frustrating. Mine in NOT relaxing to drive but getting better.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
BTW, I used the Ultra Barrier in my doghouse, just didn't know what it was called. I forgot it only had foil on one side, as I put the foam side toward the surface. I knew it was expensive but had no idea it was THAT much!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
After replacing the track bar, MUCH BETTER! Steering is still off and I am on my third steering box. Everything is new up front now and the only thing is the tires. YES, I have tried all kinds of pressures and nothing make any difference. Yes I am puzzled! I'll get it but this has been frustrating. Mine in NOT relaxing to drive but getting better.

You've probably checked these, but have you looked at the steering shaft universals and (this caused a similar issue - more of a wandering - in my '87 Ford diesel E350 LWB van) the steering wheel bearings?

I also talked to my tire guru some time back about wider tires on the front - something like ~265R19, and he said "fuggetaboudit, stick with what you have", which are the standard 19Rs.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yup, not only checked the "U" joints bu replaced them all! No difference!

I know, my tire guru said something a bit different, but hey, until it works no one knows for sure!

Thanks for the tips Rusty!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mebbe you need an exorcist... Big Grin

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke