Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Sound Absorbing Stuff fo Genset Compartment
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Sound Absorbing Stuff fo Genset Compartment
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
I just received a used Honda EV-4010 generator, and installation requires an enclosure (which I can easily make from sheetmetal; however, I'd like to add sound-absorbing sheets to the enclosure to further silence the already-quiet genset.

Any suggestions?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
HI Rusty:

I use the marine stuff that is either 1/2 inch or 1 inch that is used for sound insulation in marine generator applications. I get mine from West Marine but I am sure most marine shops carry the same or something similar. One sheet weighs a lot!

It has a high density layer of something and it really insulated the noise and heat. It has a glue back that activates when the paper is taken off and the adhesive is exposed to air. I used this stuff around and over the doghouse of my SOB (454) and it made driving conditions livable! I also lined my genset housing and you could barely hear it after done.

I intend to put this material around the engine room of the Barth when I get back from AZ. It will reduce the noise at idle a lot. (have no complaints while driving) I am going to add this over the top of the genset and up the front of the firewall in front also.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
J.C. Whitney sells a similar product in two thicknesses, though theirs is not self-adhesive. From experience with products having the word "marine" in front of them, the odds are Whitney's stuff is less expensive, though it isn't cheap.

I've used marine soundprofing in the past that had a layer of lead foil sandwiched between layers of dense foam. The Whitney stuff is similarly constructed, but the core is something other than lead foil. I've used both successfully, but it would be comparing apples & oranges to rate one above the other. Both were effective in the installations I had, but one was a sealed engine compartment, the other a RV genny compartment open on the bottom.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I used the marine stuff on my doghouse, a reinforced metalic skin on both sides with a very dense foam core. I got it thru some swappin' but I heard it'a very expensive. I attached it to the doghouse with spray adhesive, then tin tabs and staples to make sure, then sealed all the joints with duct tape. The clutch fan is barely noticable any more and the engine noise is very low. I had enought to do the inside and outside except the top surface on the outside, where I used a cork floor underlayment, then carpeted the whole thing. HUGE difference in heat and noise! Oh yeah, also installed weathersripping at the meeting surfaces and got rid of the piano hinge for a 4 point Southco rubber latch setup that holds the cover down very tight, eliminating the hot air on the leg problem.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
After some research I found the following material which I intend to use to line an enclosure for my diese genset.
http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html
Based on their sound data I expect to see about a 50% reduction in noise which should make it almost imperceptible at 15 feet from the unit. I looked at JC Whitney but could not find acoustic data to compare with this so I went with a lab proven product. Hope this helps.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I haven't tried this yet but have been considering its use to isolate my engine bilge.
http://www.tecnifoam.com/index.html
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, folks - very helpful!

I did find http://www.marinefoam.com/ which looks pretty good (and very expensive as well) - it's a bit thicker than some of the other choices, which look like they'll be more economical and just as effective.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It gets complicated. Material has both NRC and STC ratings. Each rates different characteristics. STC is sound transmission coefficient, which is how well it blocks sound. NRC is noise reduction coefficient, which is how well it absorbs sound.

A doghouse needs max STC, since you want to block sound entering the cockpit.

A genset compartment wants both. You want STC to block sound into the RV. A high STC material on the sides of the compartment also reduce outside noise somewhat.

You also want to be a good neighbor as well as benefit yourself by minimizing outside noise. This is where NRC comes in. A genset has to breathe air in and out, so there will be passages for noise to get out. Insulating the inside with high NRC ratings will absorb much of the sound before it can get out. Much sound travels line of sight, so strategically placed baffles can help here, too. Air goes around corners pretty well, much better than sound. So, baffles do not hurt air flow but help trap sound. Even suspending a batt of high NRC material underneath a genset's cooling air outlet can make a big difference.

So, different ratings address different methods of measuring sound reduction capabilities. You want both. In my own case, the noise inside does not bother us too much, so we are going go look more at NRC.

Owens Corning 703 is pretty decent stuff. Thicker batts have an NRC of 1.

I bought some of the JC Whitney stuff, and it delaminated sitting on the shelf in the shop. But it is good looking, otherwise. Has a heavy layer between two layers of foam. Constrained layer technology and all that. Converts sound into heat.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
More good info! The EV-4010 comes with very comprehensive installation data, and in fact, I intend to "soundproof" the sides, top and back of the enclosure, and to make an easier-to-remove baffle for the front. Since the radiator is behind the generator section, much of the already-minimal engine noise can be muffled with stuff in front of the engine. The requirements for the opening for adequate cooling are quite modest.

And I had expected to use both STC and NRC components (recommended by several of the websites) - just replacing the Kohler with the EV-4010 does most of the work.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The EVs have a whine that will come out the air outlet of a well-insulated enclosure. I have a friend who built a rearward outlet duct and lined it with high NRC fiberglass material. Made a big difference.

BTW, if you are looking at add-on mufflers, forget the small 3S Supertrapp. I have one as well as its dedicated resonator. It makes only a small difference. Go for the larger 5S.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that your generator is in back, our mechanical layout must be very different between the 28 ft and 30 ft breakaway. Mine is in the front and thanks goodness it is, any less weight in front, the front wheels would be off the ground all the time. In fact, I am looking at ways to move the coach batteries (4 T-105s and the inverter) up front, it will be a lot of work but should result in much less tail wag!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
As El Segundo Bill says, it gets complicated. He had J. C. Whitney stuff delaminate in his garage. I have a scrap left over from installing the genny in my previous S,O.B. four years ago, & I can't make it peel with out tearing the material. Of course, we never see anything like SoCal temperatures here.

There's more variety of soundproofing materials out there than I ever thought possible. The 1" J.C. Whitney stuff I have is identical in cross-section to the "Ultra Barrier Plus" Rusty is considering. The 1" J.C. stuff actually measures 1 1/8" thick, while the Ultra Barrier advertises it's 1 3/8." Price-wise, $94.99 for 12 sf @ Whitney equals $7.92/sf. $149.50 for 16 sf of the Ultra Barrier equals $9.34/sf.

The "B-quiet Ultimate," that Tom is considering comes out to $4.58/sf. Incidentally, that website lists a lead-lined product similar to what I used years ago in a marine installation, but they don't make it now, the price of lead is too high.

It would be interesting to have several people use different materials & then compete to see who got the most sound deadening for their buck.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just at West Marine and MAN, the prices have gone up! 2 years ago I paid $60 for a 34 X 54 sheet of 1/2 inch and $80 for a 34 X 54 sheet of 1 inch thick stuff. Now it is $110 and $130!

Gotta look for something cheaper and better!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

1st month member
posted Hide Post
You might check out Dynamat http://www.dynamat.com/
I think Autozone & O'Reilly have it.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"..thanks goodness it is, any less weight in front, the front wheels would be off the ground all the time. In fact, I am looking at ways to move the coach batteries (4 T-105s and the inverter) up front, it will be a lot of work but should result in much less tail wag!

Check your shocks and shock mounts before putting much weight in the front. The early Breakaways had problems with "breaking away": the front shock mounts would fail. This was a big topic at a Barth rally I attended in Nashville back then - don't remember the year.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post