Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    kwikee step repair
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

kwikee step repair
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
The power step on the Barth is frozen in the out position. I don't have the tools or inclination to deal with this here in Phoenix.
Anyone recommend a good mobile repair service who will come to our north Phoenix location to fix the problem for us?
We'll be heading back north in about a month so guess we should get ready soon.
Thanks
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The fix may be simple - look for the ground wire (on mine, it was white - and had four pieces of wire with 3 butt connectors). Redo that one, and it should retract.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Late last summer my steps became erratic. I wasn't in the mood for one more thing to fix... I crawled under and the mechanism was mostly visible. I found a link pin I could remove to disconnect the step from the rest. It drops by itself and I have a bungee to hold it up underway. It will be one of the first things I look at in sunny Florida (next week!) I'm sure I can fix it when I get to it and I'll post the details soon.

Even if you can't fix it you may be able to "get it up" and out of the way. good luck

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5184 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If you were in Yuma I'd just tell you to stop over and we would fix it. Pretty simple stuff.

Probably just a bad ground or worst case is the motor gears jammed. I got all the stuff to fix the motor.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Hi Don
We have had a couple of things done by KiSS RV-- repair an A/C and trouble shoot/install new back-up camera.
They are located at 7669 W Hatcher Rd Peoria
phone 623 695 2004
----- they also provide mobile service

They were very good for me-- you ask questions-- and they give you a good answer.

Good luck Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses guys.
I have redone the ground from the motor, (green wire on this one) and from the step to various bolts on the chassis this morning. ... Didn't do a thing.
The Kwikee install manual says that if you hear a clicking noise and the step doesn't move it is a motor problem. With this one it doesn't make a sound. It should also automatically retract if you start the engine, but doesn't do that either.
Drat!
It's near 80 this afternoon, so might wait 'til tomorrow morning to get back under there and check the control unit for power.
Fortunately we have lots of time to mess with this before we move on ... or call in an expert. (thanks Bud!)
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Blown fuse?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The motor can be tested by opening up the connector and applying 12 volts directly to the motor. If the motor and its geartrain are good, one polarity will raise the step and one will lower it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post