Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tech Report: Toilet Paper (Really)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tech Report: Toilet Paper (Really)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
I bought some off-brand RV toilet paper at Walmart ("TST" by Camco).

When I recently dumped the black water, I found that it had NOT degraded at all, and was clumping up, occassionally stopping up the drain. Fortunately, I have a rinse head in the tank, and was able to shut the valve a few times, partially fill the tank, and eventually get the lines cleared.

Bottom line: Always use a brand name like Scott or Coleman.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Bottom line: Always use a brand name like Scott or Coleman.

Was that intentional?

Back to name brands..........they can be all over the map, with one variety of the same brand being different than another. They may interact differently with different treatments, as well. We have used Albertson's soft choice with Happy Camper since 2000 when Consumer Research rated it highly for both dissovability and wet strength. 11 years without a clog, and no rinse or flushing. I bucket dump through a cut off milk carton funnel quite easily.

Here is a more current test from CR:

If you can't read it or blow it up, PM me for a readable copy.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I thought it was more civilized than "Don't buy crap off-brands".

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hiya folks. I'm brand new to the forum and even brand new to RVing. In fact, I'm so brand new, I haven't even picked up my MH yet. I'll get it next Saturday.

But, I've been doing an awful lot of reading and research, to prepare myself. One of the questions my "inquiring mind" wanted to know was, would I need to shop for special toilet paper? Putting the old gray matter into problem solving mode, I devised a purely unscientific way to satisfy my curiosity.

I went to the kitchen and got a glass jar with a lid. Then, I went to the bathroom and got a few sheets of the WalMart generic TP I bought last time. Pretending the glass jar was my holding tank, I filled it half full of water (clean water because my little experiment did not require THAT much realism) and dropped in the few sheets of paper.

Then, I swished the jar a round for a few seconds, like I expect the contents of the holding tank would slosh while driving. Much to my satisfaction, the paper almost immediately turned into little snowflake sized bits. By the time I walked to the latrine to pour out the contents, the water was just milky white, with no sign of any chunks of paper.

I'm pretty satisfied I can continue to use my new favorite cheapo generic Walmart TP. Any time I get a new brand, I'll make the same test. Hope my curiosity helps y'all.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-06-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff. My experiment with 36 different brands all proved the same exact result after being flushed down my macerating toilet hmm

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
So, you going to publish your findings? hmm

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I recorded it all on the last piece that was tested. Shall I send it your way for reconstruction? Big Grin

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
A tissue that disintegrates too readily might not be the best. Consumer Report's test rates them for disintegration AND strength. You probably want one that will not disintegrate while in use (to avoid the dreaded break-through), but will do so in the tank. A stronger paper will also allow you to use fewer layers, which would avoid clogging. Depending on the design of the plumbing, the paper usually can't dissolve until it is completely soaked.

As an example I know of some RVs (and at least one Barth) that have the tank on the driver's side, but the toilet on the passenger side, with an almost horizontal run connecting them. It would take a lot of water to avoid clogging there. Fine for full hook ups, but not for dry camping.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Unfortunately, I recorded it all on the last piece that was tested. Shall I send it your way for reconstruction? Big Grin

Just fax it... java

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Just as Rusty found w WM TP, so-called 'flushable' wipes DO NOT DISSOLVE. They clump together with waste material and cause clogs. We use lots of Cottonelle wipes at home and I used many on my Barth trip out West. The rest areas and WM lots where I slept did not have showers. So, I would freshen up with the personal wipes. You can even buy large ones meant to me microwaved and used to give a bed bath. But, I never put such wipes in the toilet, only the wastebasket w grocery bag as a liner (which I dispose of promptly).
At the end of our street is a lift station with two small pumps. They have been repeatedly clogged by insoluble things some people have put down their drains, including wipes and feminine hygiene products.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post