Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    diesel power
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

diesel power
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Not knowing anything about diesels, except it takes the bigger nozzle at the fueling pump.Does the 6.5 turbo GM have more power,tourque etc than say a Chevy 454?
Ken

Posts: 20 | Location: Goodland, Fl ,USA | Member Since: 03-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 GM turbo diesel had 190hp and 380ft lbs of torque. The 454 came in many different 'flavors' of output. I think the short answer is that the 454 probably had more power (hp and torque) than the 6.5.

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it could pull a toad easily, but it sounds minimal at best.
KEN

Posts: 20 | Location: Goodland, Fl ,USA | Member Since: 03-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
How much power is "enough" is an individual consideration. Florida is pretty flat, so the 6.5 might be OK.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I pull a Saturn SC3 behind my 454 powered Regal and I can't even feel it back there even going up hill. Yes, I know that it only weighs around 16lbs. I can't believe we ever bought such a small car. But, Saturns and similar cars are very light and should be no problem. I emailed you a PDF with the 2003 Dinghy Towing specs from FMCA.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a P30 chassis Winnebago with a 6.2 and it would tow beautifully. You didn't even know anything was back there. I'd suspect the 6.5 has MORE torque than a 454, less HP... good engine, though...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info.
KEN