Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    My toilets's running and I can't catch it!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

My toilets's running and I can't catch it!
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
This morning after using the toilet, the water kept running in, even with the foot peddle released. It's a Thetford Aqua Magic GL, probably original 1981. The foot peddles feel and sound right but the H2o just keeps pouring in. Luckily, we were near the end of our weekend and could cut the water supply before anything overfilled and get home ok, but obviously this needs to be fixed before our next trip. From looking at the unit I see no alternative to pulling the whole thing. Anyone had anything like this happen?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
My toilet was running a little. I'm sure that it wasn't as bad as yours. I went to CW and bought a replacement vave for the water supply side and fixed the problem. The water pump doesn't recycle all the time now. You have to remove the toilet to get at the valve. On mine there were two bolts to remove plus the water supply to get the toilet where you can work on it. On the front nut you had to depress the foot valve to get at it.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It's always a good idea to have a stopcock in the water line next to the toilet. It allows you to deal with a leaking valve by flushing with the valve, or just leave the valve closed and flush with a spray bottle or water glass if you have an emergency. When we dry camp, we use our dishwater to flush. A teeny bit of chemical in the jug keeps it nice. A little silicone spray in the bowl aids spray bottle flushing.

There are a couple of stopcocks on the market now that install in a cut line with no tools quite easily. One seals by tightening a collar, and the other seals when the line is inserted, like an air brake connector.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Dennis, mine is pouring in at wide open. Bill, good idea but in my case as a backup, as we use the coach john most of the time and I need it working right. Guess I'll pull it and go from there.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
We had a similar problem with ours and I contacted Theford via their Web site. You can bring up the model # and it will give you a parts breakdown. They will sell direct and have replacement parts for the older models.

Try WWW.Thetford.com and it will bring up their site.

DEB & ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I pulled the toilet this morning,[very easy], and discovered a failed linkage at the valve. A little grinding and drilling and ingenuity and it's good as new. Now I can spend the 200 bucks on a new radio cd player!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28