Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bill H - Question About Your Cooling Setup
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bill H - Question About Your Cooling Setup
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of flashnyellow
posted
Bill,
I saw in the Archives under 454 Cooling you mentioned using 4" dryer exhaust hose routed from the engine exhaust manifolds to the front for air movement. One question is where do you have the front of the hose attached. Is it in front of the raditor and getting air through the front grill? I was thinking of running some and somehow mount the hose under the front bumper using some type of A/C type duck scoop for air entry. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks,

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
And do you have a filter inline to keep water and junk out of the air cleaner, or does the air just circulate around the manifolds etc.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I use furnace fittings to terminate the hoses under the bumper. They are sheet metal and are cheap if you wreck them off-roading (which happens too often to us).
I plan on making a spoiler that will incorporate three openings for the hoses, but the damage thing has stopped me.

I use a Baldwin paper air filter element with their polyester batt wrap, and have noticed no debris problem. However, I am a sissy about driving an RV in the rain, so can't report too much on water ingestion. The air hits a metal deflector on entering the filter housing, and I have drilled a few drain holes in the bottom of the filter housing just in case.

My truck also has a dryer duct going from under the bumper to the intake, and is driven in our coastal monsoons with no problems, however. We live less than a mile from the ocean, so we get a lot when the storms roll in.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use cast aluminum air scoops made by Raguse Pattern Works
www.ragusarv.com/engine.html

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post