Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    4 Valve Stem Day
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

4 Valve Stem Day
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted
I hit a curb in Bridges National Monument, broke the leveling rod on the right front wheel air bag. Drove to Blanding Utah in a wind storm. Monticello, UT had a truck guy listed. 30 more miles. Ryan looked under the rig and said yep! Told me to go to Grand Junction for parts, then said "let me look" and after digging thru the boxes he came out with a valve. Yep! So he took out the old one, exact match, I am impressed. Put it in, airbag goes up, but a little bit high, he said adjust it later.

Off to Moab, Ut, my scooter has a flat rear tire. One shop after the other (3) can not get the rear wheel bearing off and the local parts stores do not have the bearing. Ride it back the 5 miles on the "run flat" tire, load it on the rig and the next day off to Grand Junction.

First thing I do is go shopping for a bearing, three parts stores and I get one. $42.50 at NAPA but $10 on ebay. Find a cycle shop to repair the Valve stem that is the problem. Call they say come over, get there and the counter guy says can you leave it. Sure, we are two weeks backed up....

NO I am traveling, ok service will fix it. Leave the bike and look at my airbag, it is fully inflated with the valve fully "closed...."

Off to the truck shop, valve put in reversed, a, b, c ports, with AB on left, and BC on right. Quick fix, guy checks tires, rear inside very low, has happend before. Bad Valve stem.

Off to the tire shop, Yep! Take it off, new valve stem, so far one for the bike and one for the rv. Drive the Colorado National Monument route, back to the cycle shop. Bike finished, he replaced both valve stems on the bike and gives me back the new wheel bearing, not needed.... Back to Napa

Back to the campground, park and look at the rear wheel, squatting too much. Next morning back to the tire shop, rear wheel empty. Off it comes and the new valve stem was bad. Put a new one in, no charge and gave me a set of new valve stems as a "sorry"

4 valve stems, one bearing, one airbag, one sightseeing trip and a good steak. Interesting day.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
My gosh, Tom! You must have used up five years worth of bad luck in 48 hours! Now you are due for clear sailing for a long time.
By the way, your signature line says Thailand stomin grounds. But, none of those unfortunate events happened there.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I live in Thailand aBut rv here about 3 months a year. This year 3 1/2 months. This year the Colorado plateau area.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post