Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Kohler Generator headache
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kohler Generator headache
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
Before I take my Barth to the repair shop, I figure you guys might know where to look to solve this puzzle.
I have a 7KW Kohler diesel generator, powered by a Kubota 3 cyl. On my way to our winter home last fall, the generator decided it would not stay running any longer. At first I thought it was a fuel issue, but soon realized that diesels are shut down by the fuel solenoid when something decides it needs shutting down.
After many hours on my back under the rig, reading the manual, going on-line, and calling Kohler dealer; I replaced the regulator (located on top of the generator where I needed a mirror to even see the bolts and connectors!!). No luck.
The generator will run if you hold down the starter button continuously, so I had my wife keep it going and I measured the voltage in the transfer box. One side good at 110V, other side nothing!
The generator has all of 85 hours on it, two of which running on the starter button to diagnose. I have removed the rear panel and the brushes and races look fine.
I have grounded the Kubota oil sensor and water sensor to see if they were telling the "brain" to shut off. No luck.
I have fumbled around inside the brain trying to bypass things, no luck.
I haven't yet checked the main breaker up in the regulator box, this may prove something.
Any ideas?
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Our Newell has a Yanmar powered generator. When you try to start the fuel solenoid will active and then stay on thru the hold circuit.

So first when you depress start does the start solenoid pull?

I must because if you hold the start it keeps running.

So next question is when you let off the start switch does it stop running? And does the start/run solenoid drop out?

If the answer is still yes, you may have a defective solenoid. These (or at least mine) have two coils inside. One set is the pull and the other the hold. These are internal and you have no control. When the solenoid slams home it changes coils from pull to hold. If this does not happen it will burn out the hold circuit.

Only solution is to by a new solenoid. Mine was $190 and I replaced it twice. The Second time I put a slow blow 4 amp fuse in the line so the start current was only momentary. This has worked because I have replaced the fuse twice.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Gary,
The solenoid does activate for the start and then returns to off the minute you let go of the start button. This sounds like a definite maybe as mine does this exact thing. The Kohler guys led me to believe the control circuit also shuts off the generator, so I never thought to guess the solenoid might be defective.
I'll check this out, thanks.
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My Onan did the same thing. Turned out to be the voltage regulator.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I have a Kohler LP powered 7.5 kw generator. I had a similar problem and a lose fuse for the control board caused it.

Good luck.

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
curious as to where this "loose fuse in the control panel" is located for the Kohler Lp system.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post