Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    New Tire Date Code Advice
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Tire Date Code Advice
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted
Hi Everyone

I’ve got a tire question for you. Tonka’s gumshoes turned 7 the middle of this last May and it’s time for a new set of tires. She’s been running on Goodyear G670 255/70R 22.5 Load Range H. I’m happy with the performance (handling, ride, noise levels and weather cracking resistance) and wanted to change her old hoops for new ones of the exact same tire and size.

We ordered a set from our local Camping World two weeks ago. They ordered them from the warehouse and have received them and are ready for the install.

Therein lies the rub. The tires they received from the warehouse are date coded 3311 and I’m flinching at spending that kind of money on tires that are or may be already at 1/5 to 1/7 of their useable safe service life.

Camping World and apparently their supplier’s position is that the tires are new, have been stored in a warehouse and not mounted or inflated or exposed to the elements. Their position is that the service life begins when they are mounted and put into service and exposed to use and the elements. That position sounds pretty reasonable as long as they weren’t stored next to some type of ozone source or in the sun.

The new tire warranty on the G670’s is for 5 years from the date of purchase or until the treadware indicators become visible. At 1500 to 2500 miles per year, her tires will time out way before they wear out. The weather cracking warranty is 7 years from the purchase date, or from the manufacture date without proof of purchase.

Camping World said they can’t spec the most recent date code when they order the tires and that they get what the warehouse sends them. They also said the large RV tires aren’t manufactured as often as smaller tires and may only be produced once a year or so depending on when the inventory drops to the resupply point.

My options seem to be to complete the transaction and have the brand new but 1 year old tires installed or cancel the order and try to get newer tires installed next spring, or to look for another source or brand.

Our Camping World installs a lot of RV tires and we’ve had good experiences with other work they’ve done.

I will also need to get the wheels aligned by a RV specialty alignment shop as all tires are feathering slightly and the fronts are wearing unevenly at the outside (especially the driver’s side).

I could sure use some opinions, advice and recommendations from our tire experts? hmm

Thanks,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
An expert I am not. I would not worry about the year old stored tires. There has been no shift of the cords untill the tire is aired and run down the road. G.Y. has put an additive in their RV tires. that is to help the UV.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
UV and ozone are the main enemies of tires. With those stored in a warehouse, they should be pretty much newborns. Of course, if you could get later date-tag ones, so much the better. If it were I, I'd not be concerned, but then, I put ~15K miles/yr on my Barth.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Why not eliminate the middleman and go to the nearest Goodyear Truckwise Tire Center? They are the distributor and mine were about a month old from a huge warehouse of 22-1/2" tires. They have everything to align, balance and repair/replace lugs and wheel nuts all in one place. They generally advertise they will beat any local price.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Your local dealer is Wingfoot Tire Center. Eagan MN

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Ah, the lifetime of a tire. So much controversy. The manufacturers bail out early, leaving us to gamble on seemingly good tires. Personally, I think most tires here up north will go ten years... less heat and UV.

Having said that, I just changed my steer tires (8 yrs old, looking perfect) for new ones. The new ones were "factory shipped" and they were six months old. I was told a similar tale, RV tires aren't made continuously, etc. I think the time in service is a more realistic yardstick.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We bought our Goodyears in 2005 and have no intention of replacing them. The Barth is stored inside, taken out fairly often for a spin, and the tires shown no sign of cracking or checking, even inspected with a magnifying glass. Maybe in a year or two.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone,

I really liked the idea of being able to get new tires and an alignment at the same one-stop shop. I checked three of our local Truckwise Centers today. One had 6 in their warehouse, date coded to 2211. One could assemble 6 from a couple of warehouses and didn't know what the codes would be. One didn't have any, said they would have to order them from the factory warehouse but didn't seem overly interested.

The two that had or would assemble the set were very interested. They quoted the same price and said their racks weren't big enough to do the alignment on Tonka. Both were going to use the same big rig specialty shop in one of our burbs for the alignment.

I really appreciate everyone's comments and ideas and am going to pony up for the slightly newer hoops from Camping World at a slightly lower price and take it to the RV alignment shop they recommended.

As time always seems to be in short supply at work and home, getting it taken care of now seems like the best bet. Smiler

Thanks for your advice and recommendations,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I got my Gooodyear G670 275/70R's at POMP's in Savage.

5440 West 125th Street
952-894-8846

They were in-stock, but this was a few years back, so I would not be able to say if they were competative.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Hi Mac,

Pomp's was one of the Truckwise centers I talked with about the date codes. They were very helpful, interested and competitive and have been around a long while. I'd already ordered the tires and Camping World is close to the alignment shop I'm using.

I noticed you have larger G670 275/70R's on your 31 Regency. Tonka started out with Goodyear 245/75R G159's. Her previous owner (prior to Cory) changed over to the RV specific G670 RV 255/70Rs which are a load range upgrade to H and seem to be a good size for her listed weight. The outer diameter looks to be .6 in smaller but currently her speedo and gps seem to matchup right on the money.

I'm also getting her aligned and they start out by having her step on the scales loaded up to the way we travel. Smiler

Thanks,
Wally

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
The Michelins that were on when I purchased the coach were 275/70R's and was probably the reason I stuck with this size.

I just looked at the Data Tag and it shows 255/80R's.

...and yes, my speedo is off by a few MPH, but typically use GPS to compensate.

Where are you having your alignment done???

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Hi Mac,

I'm using Precision Frame and Alignment in Elk River. They were recommended by Camping World and are close to them which simplifies the coordination.

Pomp's in Savage recommended Automobile Service Company in St. Louis Park.

Both look to be very experienced at doing alignment work on large RV's. Smiler

Thanks,
Wally

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
My main mechanic runs a bus company garage. He looked at my seven year old tires and said I'd be a fool to replace them because they look like they just left the tire store. If there are no cracks, he said to keep running them.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone,

A contractor friend with a lot of heavy truck experience gave me similar advice. However, I think the difference is that his equipment and its maintenance are a significant part of the bottom line of his business and he has a very good idea of its limits based on his knowledge and experience. His trucks also get frequent use and hardly ever sit around.

On the other hand, we have no experience with owning, operating and maintaining heavy equipment. Tonka is our first ever motor coach and has become a somewhat pampered part of our family. So far she has spent most of her time sitting in storage or in the driveway waiting to go somewhere which is pretty tough on her hoops.

Tonka's front tires were also close to the wear indicators at the outer tread layer and shoulder.

We tend to be pretty conservative and felt it was better to error on the side of safety and not push the limits when it potentially affects the safety of family, friends, the people we're sharing the road with and our largest family member.

I replaced the full set of tires with the same brand and size earlier this week and took off from work yesterday to get the Tonka's weight and alignment checked and adjusted if needed.
Her weight is excellent with more headroom than we'll ever need and I can now set the tire pressure based on known wheel loading.

The alignment shop also checked the alignment and said that the alignment and suspension were in good order and didn't need adjustment. They said they've seen this tire wear pattern before on front mounted Goodyear RV tires and have been told it’s related to the belt design and construction of the tires.

The tires and alignment are done. With the new tires and pressure adjusted, there is a clear improvement in her ride. She still drives and handles great and I feel much more confident rolling down the road on her new tires. Tooling Along

Thanks,
Wally