Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Blowout!!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Blowout!!
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Has this ever happened to you???

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wODPrH5qtY

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2589 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Makes me glad I put Tyrons up front.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/10
posted Hide Post
This video actually demonstrates a second example of keeping your rig under control but doesn't specifically point it out. What I'm referring to is air pressure (or truck wash) that is created when a large rig passes you at a higher rate of speed than you're traveling and the force of that air pushes you perpendicular (out of the center of your lane) to your forward movement. If you anticipate the "truck wash" and accelerate you will reinforce your forward momentum and not be pushed out of your lane position as the truck passes you.

You would use the same technique passing out from under an overpass on a windy day, accelerate as you exit under the bridge so that the wind gust doesn't push you out of your lane.

I'm only mentioning this because I see a lot of RV's blown out of their lane by passing trucks and in a high traffic situation they're obviously not aware of the accelerating technique, and by not using the advice in the video in any of these situations (tire, truck wash, or wind gusts) it could very easily result in a fatal accident.

Didn't intend to hijack the thread, I'll get off my soap box now.
Thanks for the link to the video.

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

Posts: 70 | Location: WI | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Doug, thanks for the greatly informative link.

Bill H, what is a Tyron?

Blow outs from road hazards go with the territory. Blow outs from tire age and history are avoidable.

I was advised to get new tires by the members here, and I was glad I did. The tires looked new. However, the date code of 459 means they were produced in the 45th week of the 9th year. Since it isn't the 45th week of 2009 yet, that means either 1999 or 1989. The tires are Goodyear G159. That model on the 22.5 inch rim has been observed to have many unexpected blowouts, and the stories I read are that RV manufacturers would pressurized the tire to 30 psi, and later the dealerships would set them to full pressure. In the meantime, the tire was enduring a stress condition in a fixed position for weeks or years. The new owner wouldn't know this, and blammo. I've got 19.5 inch rims, yet I do not know the service history of the tires. Obviously they have been installed and unused for years. And even if they are pressurized properly, the tire was not designed to undergo months of inactivity. Parts of the sidewall are at risk of delamination apparently.

So, I got new tires.

And to assist with the road hazard oriented blowout, I also installed the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.

[should I be concerned that the Safe-T-Plus is making the hydroboost pump work harder?]

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 531 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:

Bill H, what is a Tyron?

A metal band that clamps around the center of the wheel to cover the depression. This does not keep the tire from becoming unseated in a blowout, but it does keep it in place on the full diameter of the rim instead of going all over the place. It is used extensively by police and military. One of my sons had experience with them in combat in Afghanistan, and has experienced shot-out tires with and without. He says with is better.

http://www.google.com/search?h...yre+band&btnG=Search

quote:
I've got 19.5 inch rims, yet I do not know the service history of the tires. Obviously they have been installed and unused for years. And even if they are pressurized properly, the tire was not designed to undergo months of inactivity.

Yes. You've hit on one of my cranks. I believe that tires last way longer when used. Sitting is at least as bad as driving under-inflated. My Barth goes for a 20-mile ride every week and genset and air conditioners or heat strips run every other week. Even the water pump runs with the bypass partially open during the ride. Tires not only do not like sitting with the sidewalls stressed in one spot, but need flexing and heating to "bloom" the preservative chemicals from the inside to the outside.

There are those who say put nothing on your sidewalls, but I use Goodrich Age Master. It is a product to preserve rubber de icer boots on airplanes. I know of no worse conditions for rubber than de icer boots. My ongoing experience with British cars has also convinced me of its worth.

quote:
should I be concerned that the Safe-T-Plus is making the hydroboost pump work harder?

Matt

No. Your pump works harder in slow, tight maneuvering and parking than it does going down the road with a safe T plus or Steer Safe.

BTW, blowout safety on the front an IFS vehicle is also enhanced by a heavier anti-sway bar in front. In addition to adding general stability, when one side drops from the blowout, the suddenness of the lean will be lessened, and the opposite side will be forced to "kneel" more by the heavier bar, making the whole experience less dramatic and more controllable.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the great video on blowouts and the tips for handling a motorhome under varying driving conditions. I didn't know any of these driving techniques before today.

With regard to tire age. The almost new old Barth (1993) that I just bought received a brand new set of tires because the ones on it were 1993 vintage. The old ones looked good but it's clear they needed to be changed. I'm sure they would be good for farm rigs or other application where they aren't subjected to high speeds and heat. My brother is supposed to be checking with local farmers to see if any of them could use them. Do you guys have any other ideas where they could be used safely?

Roman

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roman:
Do you guys have any other ideas where they could be used safely?

Roman

Construction equipment that didn't go fast on the road.

At the airport, our jetways used un-recappable airliner tires.