Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dim Dash Lights
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dim Dash Lights
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
I am having the dim light problem and would like to know if others have changed out the old 2W bulbs for a better one. If so what did you install?
1993 Regency, Gillig Chassis

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Hope you get a good answer, I have the same problem. I use to restore classic Chevrolets that had this problem. A lot of the time it was actually the rheostat on the light switch. Replace the switch and the problem was solved. I have not tried replacing the switch on the Barth.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have an intermittent rheostat and also noted that many bulbs were short round bulbs that didn't go very far into the gauge. I replaced them with the same wattage (I think 3 W) but longer and it is MUCH brighter. I will get the bulb number tomorrow.

I haven't yet replace the headlight switch and still have to jiggle the rheostat sometimes to get full brightness.

I was going to look into LED replacement lamps but I am in the middle of completely re-laying out the dash so until that is finished, the old bulbs will stay!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks: This all started with the dim lights then I noticed when I turned on the lights with the generator running the oil pressure indicator (Gen) would drop 20 pounds and the temp would rise about the same distance on the face. I suspected the grounds were reversed and the voltage across the gauges was being reduced by the drop across all the bulbs. After tearing apart both the dash and the console I could not find any bad grounds or crossed wires. I am thinking the bulbs are the problem as they are consuming more voltage than planned in the coach, maybe because of the number of accessories that were added by Barth (Step indicators, CB radio, that "Ultimate Horn", etc.). If anyone has had that occur I'd love to hear about it.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
That probably would be another issue. Can't speak for your model, but on mine there are a couple of grounding places that i have found to be suspect. I follow all the green wires around and when I come across a junction (strip with many wires under screws) I take apart and clean. Some I take off the junction, clean and solder the bundle together.

I didn't have any gauge fluctuations but did have a VERY low output from my low beam headlights which I fixed adding a relay. That was a case of way to many junctions and connectors from the headlight circuit breaker to the headlamp.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Tom, I had the problem, and the headlight problem also, then finally when the coach was started, the air horns would blow. I finally traced things down to a bad ground on the firewall above the generator. The ground bus was loose, took everything apart and wirebrushed everything and then put electrical seal on it. I removed all the ground bus and cleaned them. This stopped all bleed thru and now got bright lights and also replaced the head light switch and redone the connections to the switch. The head light switch from mine was from a older chevrolet truck. Every thing works great now. The positive side has to make a complete circuit thru the aplliance back the ground to the battery. sky.

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
My favorite connection corrosion preventer is dielectric grease.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an update on my dash instrument lights being dim. In the relay compartment (below) there is a load resistor at the lower left with brown wires attached. when I measured the voltage at the instrument lights it read 6.8 v dc, about 1/2 what the 12 volt bulbs require. It appears Gillig may have used 6 volt bulbs in their bus chassis and Barth may not have known that. It can easily be solved by simply connecting the wires without the resistor in the circuit and voila! bright lights and full control using the headlight knob. This may be peculiar to mine, but if you have a Gillig Chassis Regency you might measure and see.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This may not be an issue, but it's a caution: My '87 Ford van has a mechanical 6V regulator in the dash - the instruments (oil, temp, fuel level) are 6V in a 12V system, although the lighting is 12V - it would be worthwhile to make sure your instruments aren't 6V, lest there be a burnout.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Tom had attached a photo of "HIS" electrical circuit panel to the post. I removed it and labeled it for better viewing. In the lower left hand corner is the "Step Down voltage Resistor Pack" that Tom is talking about. It looks like a standard "Chrysler Ignition Resistor" from the late 60's to early 70's.

I also took the liberty to identify several other key circuits. These are not the same in each coach.

Several of the part numbers are my preference. The part number for the 5 pole relay is 30-40amps and is heavier then the standard relay.

The 4 pole relay can usually be changed over to a 5 pole relay.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, would you happen to know what purpose the yellow lights located halfway down each side of the coach serve? They do not come on with the clearance, running or turn signals. These are small, not the patio or work lights up near the roof line. They have small wedge bulbs and the bulbs look ok. For that matter, neither the Gillig Owners Manual nor the electrical schematics for the coach from Barth deal with exterior lighting or any harnesses that are chassis related.