Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    rivet things
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

rivet things
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Having seen some things flappin' around in the wind, I'm ready to go out and buy one of those there rivet tool things. Guess I'll need to buy some of them rivets too, but Lee says that you've got to make sure that them rivets have aluminum mandrels, whatever that means. Can somebody give me directions to the local aluminum mandrel rivet store place? Let's see--how big a hole do I have to drill to get one of those there rivet aluminum mandrel things in it?

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The mandrel is the little nail-like hickey on a pop rivet, that you stick in the hole of a pop rivet tool in order to install the rivet.

Pop rivets come in several sizes & lengths, and at least in steel, aluminum & stainless steel. Any hardware store will have at least 3 sizes of rivets, in various lengths, in all 3 materials. The box will tell you what drill size you need. Just be sure if you have to drill an old rivet out, that you use the right size drill,

Aluminum rivets may have steel or aluminum mandrels. IMHO the critical factors are being sure the rivet is aluminum, and getting the right size & length. Too long & the rivet won't pull down tight, too short, it won't set. & you'll have to drill it out again.

This ain't rocket science, so I'm not sure how critical it is to use rivets with aluminum mandrels. Your rivets are probably failing from galvanic corrosion between the aluminum rivet & the steel structure the flapping aluminum skin is fastened to. That will happen again, long after you've disposed of the rig, & long before such corrosion will occur between the rivet and the remaining nub of a steel mandrel.

Any pop rivet tool better than Dollar Store grade will come with 3 fittings to handle 3 different size mandrels.

When all else fails when using the rivets or the tool, read the directions.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
....I think I'm being tweaked a little here, but I've got big shoulders, so here goes:

1. A PhD. in Pop-Rivetology can be obtained at:
http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/Default.htm

2. Home Depot/Lowes/any self-respecting hardware store carries the riveter & supplies - usually next to the staplers.

3. Less than 20 bucks should get you a consumer-grade tool with a sample kit of various size pop rivets and instructions in 6 languages.....I'd suggest you look around the house and POP away until you feel like you're qualified to pop rivet on THE machine....(mistakes are simply drilled-out and another rivet inserted)

4. For non-blind applications (not tellin' ya - ya gotta read the instructions - six languages!)...I recommend washers on both ends - really makes a difference in tensile strength....

5. If you're attaching aluminum to steel, and can get a thin nylon flat washer between them, you'll probably eliminate enough galvanic reaction that the joint will last your lifetime......

6. A pop rivet that has been set will have a center that is non-waterproof...In wet environments or flat applications subject to rain, a teensy-weensy dab of any good sealer will help.....

ENOUGH!....I could talk pop-rivets every waking moment of my life....It's time for my therapy anyway.........Good luck!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Now, you read these 2 posts & you see the difference between a shade-tree mechanic who learned mostly by trial -and-error, & one who went to school.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
"Never, ever, let studies and school interfere with your education...."
-Henry Ford,1926

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
rivets on a barth have a mandral that push in not out makes them water tight.let me know if you want # to get carl

Posts: 29 | Location: forestburgh n.y usa | Member Since: 01-06-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I'd like it Carl!

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I sure would like the number as well. Would the local hardware, Home Depot etc still be the source?

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Carl, I'd appreciate the info. too.

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Me four Carl.

Also wanted to thank you for stopping by after I got my Barth to take a look at it. I know you saw it first hand when I just ripped the walls out of it.

If your in the area stop by or give me a call. Would love to hear from you again. I think you will be surprised at how far it has come.

Thanks

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited August 23, 2005).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carl,

Count me in as the fifth.

Dennis

Posts: 42 | Location: Loudon, TN, United States | Member Since: 12-23-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
barth used (2) sized 5/16 wall. 3/8 trim head size .38-106-02-16 head is .375 or 3 /8. grip range is .o47 to .141 .38-105-02-13 grip range is.o47 to .o78 .you can change the grip range by changing the # 02 03 04 05 .call 1-800-634-4293 catalog m-100 page P-4 aluminum drive rivets use hammer to set pin flush with rivet p.s grip is total thickness of sheets. but you have a range .this rivet will look just like the ones you have know yours carl

Posts: 29 | Location: forestburgh n.y usa | Member Since: 01-06-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there any problem using stainless rivets?
Or is it better to stick with aluminum.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I think we need to keep in mind that stainless steel, even when its been passivated, is a "corrosion-resistant" material...it is not "corrosion-proof".

Stainless in contact with aluminum and in the presence of moisture will set up a galvanic reaction - the basic laws of thermodynamics so state. In this example, the aluminum will take the hit, to the benefit of the stainless.....

Having said that, we also need to temper it with a dose of reality......If one set of circumstances and metals will serve its purpose for 20 years, and another set will last 100 years plus, I'd be inclined to go with whatever is easily available, on-hand, least expensive or more convenient.

SUMMARY: Aluminum-to-aluminum contact will ALWAYS trump aluminum-to-some-other-metal for longevity...But that doesn't make alternative approaches incorrect. My body and my Barth are roughly scheduled to wear out at about the same time, and I doubt if using stainless steel rivets would be much of a factor one way or the other.....

So, as a product of the '60's generation, I'd be inclined to say: If it feels good, go with it!

posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee. I guess I'll stick with aluminum
I noticed the strength of the stainless was much greater. That's what prompted the thought. Lloyd

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post