Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fresh water pump?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fresh water pump?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Does the fresh water pump run all the time the pump switch is turned on? I don't recall it doing such, but noticed it was while coming home from Florida. Pump instructions with Barth says, pump is by demand. Thoughts? Thanks. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a problem. Our pump only runs when the pressure drops.
Here's hoping you have a simple fix.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not spotted any water leaks. Are you saying that when one is not hooked to garden hose but instead using tank, that the pressure from gravity is applied to inlet side of pump and when faucet is opened the pressure drops thus turning the pump on? The same would be true when hooked to garden hose. Right? Thanks. Dale

[This message has been edited by DALE SMITH (edited January 26, 2004).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The pump should be switched on only when you
are using the tank to supply your water. While connected to an outside supply, or when traveling, the pump should be switched off.

If you leave the pump switch on while you're driving, the water can slosh around and expose the pump inlet. This will create an air lock that lets the pump run constantly, and that ain't good for your nerves or the pump. Also, if the tank is empty, and the switch is on, the pump will not shut off.

Been there, done that.

If you're standing still, and there's plenty of water in the tank, and the pump still runs constantly, you've got another problem.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Dale, The pressure switch for pump is on the outlet side of pump. Pressure is built up when pump runs and faucet (that was opened) is turned off. Pump should then stop fairly quickly once all water use is stopped. If using a 'shore' water connection, incoming water is placed at the same place as pressure switch, but it may be lower pressure than when using pump and if pump is on, it may run. So when hooked up to shore water, pump should be off. I understand that is not your problem, but just a description of how it should work.
HTH

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack, I don't think my pressure switch is right next to the pump outlet port. There is an electric devise up next to the tank that has a inlet and outlet with two wires to same. I will trace such tomorrow in the daylight. I know there is a filter devise outside the inlet port, but sure don't think there is a switch near outlet. Will study tomorrow, and thanks you all for info. Dale

Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
That thing near the tank is probably the auto fill valve, look at picture I posted earlier.

Pump and fill valve picture

The green wire goes to the fill valve, the red wires go to the pump pressure switch, which in this case is part of the pump.

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited January 26, 2004).]

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dale,
I believe the pressure switch is part of the pump. The electrical connections on the tanks are probably the fill level indicator sending units that read out on the panel above the entry door.

With water in the tank, turn on the pump, open a faucet and run a couple of quarts of water through you system. Close the faucet and the pump should stop almost immediately. If the pump continues to run you either have a leak or faulty pressure sensor.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at the picture of the fill valve, I pose this question:
-the fill valve unit is used to transfer fluid from one tank to the other if you are not hooked into shore water, right? This can also be accomplished with gravity.

-the valve will also allow you to fill the onboard tanks from the shore water source, right?

I am asking because I removed all that plumbing (intact in case my reasoning was incorrect). The plan is to do any filling directly from the fill opening above the tank. The valve was such a slow-flow it took a loooong time to transfer or fill the tanks. Much faster to drop a hose in the opening and let her run.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
The fill valve in my case (picture) is only for filling when hooked up. Yes, it is very slow, but I also have a filter on my fresh water connection, so everything coming into the water system is filtered. I only have a single fresh water tank, so the only transfer I do is from some 6 gallon containers that I use from time to time when I over use onboard water supplies.

posted Hide Post
dale check your tank fill switch if it is on water will go round and round. carl

Posts: 29 | Location: forestburgh n.y usa | Member Since: 01-06-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine has a "beepbeepbeep" warning when the transfer valve is open.

Dale, the spare pump is a Shurflo, 45psi, 4amp, 2.8gpm............

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had the same problem(pump running constantly until I replaced the auto-fill valve. It was staying open due to some internal corrosion depreasurizing the system.
I found the switch at a local lp gas equipment store used for $5.00. Or you can purchase a manual valve for about $6.00.
jack !!!

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input. Many of you know that I just LOVE to pick on ron. Got to love that ron, well he is sending to me a good pump to try and see if such cures my problem. I told him we would work out a price and he said " I'm not paying you any storage if you decide not to keep ". Maybe I will just have to make something for him. I have some ideas, but no HINTS and he won't get it unless he shows for the RALLY. Hear that ron???? Dale