Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Battery switch
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery switch
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of vince900ss
posted
On the left side of my instrument panel, the series of rocker switches includes a red one (rest are green as shown) with a battery symbol on it. What is this switch for? Also, maybe because of a short (?), it will not stay depressed if pushed. Would appreciate any info on this.

Thanks again.

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Vince, that switch will parallel the house batteries to the chassis batteries to start the engine in case the engine batteries are run down. It is a spring loaded off switch and must be depressed and Held to connect all the batteries.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
By the way the light switch just to the left of the Battery switch should also be spring loaded "Off". Depressing it flashes the marker lights. Truckers use it to acknowledge (thank) a vehicle they just passed.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
Nick,
Ahhh...that solves that mystery! Thanks so much. I've got all new batteries, so haven't gotten to the point where I've needed to parellel them, but it's good to know.
And thanks for pointing out the marker flasher switch. Hadn't used nor figured that one out yet either! Much appreciated.

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
Thought I would add my 2 cents worth. In my Regency the parallel operation would not work. Despite having four good 12 volt house batteries it would not have enough umph to start the Cummins. I did some trouble shooting and found out that the paralleling relay was bad. I could read 1.2 Kohms between the chassis battery contact and the coil ground side with all conductors removed. I purchased a new 500 amp replacement and took the old one apart. The contacts were so black and burned that they didn't even resemble being made of metal. Also you could see the carbon deposition which gave me the high resistence path.

As a side note. On our last trip to Texas I had to get up at night and start the generator since the low voltage alarm had gone off. Since the generator uses the house batteries it would not start. I then used the paralleling switch to the opposite of what it was originally intended for. I used the chassis batteries to start the generator. Go figure.....

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
I seemed to have run in to a similar problem over the memorial weekend when we took the Barth out for the first time sense we have owned her. When the house batteries run down I can't start the generator. The start solenoid either won't actuate at all or cycles back and forth and sounds like a loud cycling noise at the generator. So I have to start the main engine and let the batteries get charged so that I can start the generator. Some times I have to rev the main engine to get the generator started. So does this mean my batteries are in parrallel all the time or what. I have a switch on the barth just as you walk up the steps that allows some of the equipement to work but I'm not completely sure how things are wired up. If you could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rodney

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you could start the main engine, the paralleling switch is OK, otherwise he engine batteries would also have been drained.

There are three (among others) likely culprits:

1. Cruddy connections, especially house battery and genset grounds.

2. Weak batteries.

3. Bad converter.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lance Walton:
I did some trouble shooting and found out that the paralleling relay was bad. I could read 1.2 Kohms between the chassis battery contact and the coil ground side with all conductors removed. I purchased a new 500 amp replacement and took the old one apart. The contacts were so black and burned that they didn't even resemble being made of metal. Also you could see the carbon deposition which gave me the high resistence path.

Okay where is this relay located?? I don't believe mine is working.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I would find it hard to believe that no one has an area for me to look for the jumping relay run by the crossover switch listed in this thread? Just a good idea where to look without following the wire jungle.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, you've got the only Aristocrat! My battery box is passenger side behind the rear wheels. The paralleling relay is in an enclosure in the rear of that compartment.

One exceptionally valuable tool for these coaches is a signal tracer - about $80 online.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty! What's in a name? I think it's cool to be one of very few. But from everything I've seen there is not a whole lot different from the Breakaway. I just hate wasting time when someone can put me in the right general area. I have never used a signal tracer. Being old school I'm a tracer. I will research a tracer. It might be a wise investment. Rusty from everything I've seen you are a wealth of knowledge thanks for the direction.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got a Fluke signal tracer from Amazon...from where I also got Gatorback fan belts not available locally, as well as a spare idler arm and pulley.

The charm of a signal tracer is that you can attach it to one wire and the receiver will let you know when you've found the other end.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Dana, it looks like we have the same paint scheme on our Barths. Your's is the first twin I've seen.

I also would like to know where the relay is because mine doesn't work either. My electical panel is outside under the driver's seat. Does it have a special label??

Thanks for any help.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The chances are the relay is located near the batteries. It is normally placed to allow the shortest cable runs.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke