Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tell me about tires
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tell me about tires
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Our 1990 28' Regal has a habit of wandering to the right while driving it. It scares my wife and tires us both out as we have to compensate constantly. It's like milking a cow. Our mechanic said that he took it for a test drive and he believes it's because the tires are to narrow. What's the largest and widest tires that I can put on the front? Maybe that will solve the problem. Ron

Proud owners of a 1990 28' Barth Regal towing a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Posts: 28 | Location: Slidell, Louisiana & Compass Lake, Florida | Member Since: 09-18-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Is it a P-30 (GM) chassis? What size tires are on it now? My opinion: it probably is not the tires, and definitely not their width.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Gunner,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's and Oshkash chassis which is the same as a Freightliner. Is that a P-30? The tires on it are Michelin 8R X 19.5 (Side walls are 1 ply and tred are 4 ply). What are the widest tires I can use and will this help the problem of drifting to the right?

Ron

Proud owners of a 1990 28' Barth Regal towing a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Posts: 28 | Location: Slidell, Louisiana & Compass Lake, Florida | Member Since: 09-18-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
You can go to 225R7019.5 but that is it! they are wider then the 8R19.5 by a lot but they are also much lower profile, they are about 1 inch smaller in diameter, you will give up some speed/RPM with the 225.

The 245R19.5 is the same diamter but requires a 6 3/4 inch minimum wheel width (preferably 7 inch), yours are probably only 6 inch and there are not many choices for that width wheel.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
When I unknowingly had a right front air bag go out, the Euro pulled to the right some, not bad but enough that you were always countering. I run the skinny fronts and wanted to go wider but was talked out of it. New air bags properly inflated [i run 55 pounds], made her go straight as an arrow. The p30 is the GM chassis, which I have. Don't know if you have bags or some other suspension components that may effect handling.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
That sounds more like an alignment problem than anything else. Find a place that will do a four-wheel alignment, & have it aligned to factory specs. Odds are that will do the trick. Be sure it is checked for worn, bent, or damaged suspension components. They can cause handling problems even if alignment is done to specs.

I once had a problem with a Michelin that had a misaligned belt that made the rear end of My S.O.B. squirm. A previous owner spent big bucks trying to solve the problem, but it took a non-mechanical friend to clue me to the fact the tread was skewed. Another Michelin self-destructed parked in a storage lot. You might also visually check your tires to be sure they run true.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I had a problem similar to yours. It was the steer safe on the front end. It took a few tries but I got it aligned and it runs true now.

Good luck.
Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post