Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    When to change engine oil
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

When to change engine oil
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
No that we are back from our 7k cross country trip, I decided to change the engine oil. Just wondering is there a maximum number of highway miles you should drive on an oil change? If so what is the number?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
1,000 miles per gallon. I have a 7 gallon system so I go 7,000 miles between changes. I have a Detroit Diesel serviced by Detroit Diesel and that's the plan they have me follow. Oil is cheep is the way I look at it.

Cummins schedule A maintenance states every 12,000 miles. So I think you are safe. With oil analysis some people are stating they have gone up to 25,000 miles between oil changes.

Cheers
Meric

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Most of you know i'm a recovering lube engineer. Some observations:

• Running with the engine at operating temps is the ideal condition for oil

• Most engine wear occurs on a cold start. Any engine should not be warmed up at idle. Wait until it's firing smoothly; if necessary wait until the air is pumped up, then go.

• Sitting unused is unkind to any engine, but especially diesels. I run mine 15 miles at least monthly. Just running at idle does more harm than good. The run heats the oil to boil off water and to renew the oil film on engine parts

• The oil change intervals on most of our engines was created before low-sulfur or ULSD. Sulfur is the nastiest of the constituents of diesel (although it also provides lubrication). Sitting idle, condensation enters the crankcase, and that water combines with sulfur to form acidic residue.

Bottom line: The recommended change intervals should probably be extended, but the engine builders aren't going to do the expensive tests on superceded engines. An additional reason intervals can be safely extended is the more robust additive of contemporary oils.

• Nevertheless, "Oil's cheaper than metal!"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post