Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tow dolly or tow bar, which do you prefer
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tow dolly or tow bar, which do you prefer
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Gotta decide soon which to use. Jeep Grand Cherokee (4WD) or Toyota Solara (front wheel drive) will be my toad choices. Have to store the dolly 24/7. The bar would be less of a storage issue. Now from a practicallity of use standpoint, which do you prefer (and why if you don't mind sharing).

Appreciate the voices of experience here. Not trying to start a debate, just hope for info to make a clearcut decision.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Dolly because it came with the Barth. I have had camp gounds say they won't allow on my site, so have to push it to their storage area. You can't back up with it either so no benifit there. I would go with Bar if I had to purchase one or the other. If you switch toads for the weekend then a Dolly might save some time and money. Of course you can't put all toads on a dolly for tranny reasons either.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Tow Bar is the only way.
Dolly itself adds significant weight = harder to stop.
Often the dolly must be unhooked and stored in campgrounds, which means unloading & reloading the car, not to mention trundling the dolly off to storage area.
Dolly CAN'T BACK UP!! Bar will back a little.
A "Brake Buddy" can be added to a tow bar car - most dollies have no brakes.
(My personal is a drive shaft disconnect from Remco- my third -greatest thing since sliced bread!!)

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited January 20, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Tow bar is the only way to go. We have a Roadmaster Sterling and are very happy.

I have the FMCA lists of towable cars, suvs and trucks for 2003 and 2004. If anyone wants the pdf just let me know.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I would really appreciate a copy of the towables guide. Thank you.

Randy

Posts: 1 | Location: La Mesa, NM | Member Since: 01-11-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise in real-life information. I have wavered back and forth. First the bar (because it carries the highets recommendation percentage) then the dolly because it's half (or less) the cost of a bar. Local quote for installed Blue Ox is $1600! This includes base plates, safety cables and electrical system for my Cherokee.

Since I have access to a Demco dolly, I plan to do a trial-trip pulling the Camry (FWD) just to see how I feel about the thing.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, well aren't you the ONE. Here I and others thought we were helping, but you already had your mind made up. I tell you, these SCOOTER riders are all alike. WIDE OPEN and on the BRAKES. Which gives you the most THRILL?

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ron:
Gotta decide soon which to use. Jeep Grand Cherokee (4WD) or Toyota Solara (front wheel drive) will be my toad choices. Have to store the dolly 24/7. The bar would be less of a storage issue. Now from a practicallity of use standpoint, which do you prefer (and why if you don't mind sharing).I HAVE 2 DIFFERENT TOW BARS ANS A TOW DOLLY I PUT BRAKES ON I LIKE THE DOLLY WOULD SELL ONE TOW BAR

Appreciate the voices of experience here. Not trying to start a debate, just hope for info to make a clearcut decision.

Posts: 23 | Location: peoria il. usa | Member Since: 12-13-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AAARRRRGGGGHHHH! One week ago, PPL shipped a Blue OX to my door. Man, I wish my wife (harrump) hadn't been so impatient to get one purchased. :-)

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
We have used a low tech, cheap, home made tow bar for years and years. No problem. Similar bars are available from Jeep stores. I do back up, but always have my wife with a radio watching to be safe. Things can get out of shape really quickly. We disconnect the bar from the ball and take short drives with the bar still on the toad, held up with a strap. You know, to scout campsites and so forth.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gebeclh
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I would appreciate the list also. Thanks for the very informative site.

Kip

Posts: 16 | Location: Coon Rapids, Mn, USA | Member Since: 04-13-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post