Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    C6 Transmission
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

C6 Transmission
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
I remember a few month ago talking to someone on this site about the C6 transmission. It seems that when hot if I put it in reverse it takes a little bit of time to get it into reverse.

The working theroy was the reverse arm or linkage may be out of adjustment or the torque converter could be failing.

I was hoping that a fellow Barth owner may have had this problem or solution to my problem. Does anyone know how to adjust the reverse arm?

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C-6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have limited knowledge of the C6, but the first step would be to check the hot fluid level. Second step would be to disconnect the linkage at the shifter arm on the trans and move the arm into reverse. You should feel the detent inside the transmission as you go into reverse. It should line up with the linkage when the shift lever in the cockpit is in reverse. It it is not, adjustment is needed.

That failing, a dose of Trans-X could help free a sluggish valve.
the fact that it occurs when it is not hot would indicate some sort of sluggish or sticking valve. When is the last time the filter was replaced?

The torque convertor does not know whether the trans is in fwd or reverse, so if the problem occurs only in reverse, it is unlikely that the convertor is at fault.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have checked it hot and the level is full. I placed the transmission in reverse and then disconnected the linkage. I then rotated it in and out of reverse and each time found the detent noise at the same place the linkage was while placed in reverse.

I didn't think it was the torque converter for the same reason as you did but thought I would throw it out there because someone else on this site thought it could be it a few months ago.

While it is laid up over the winter I plan on doing a filter and fluid change. I want to add a transmission cooler and refill with synthetics. I will also be adding a sump guage to check temps. I didn't know if there was pressure readings or anything I could check that would tell me if I should just yank it or risk it.

I had a friend that owned a Lincoln back in the 80's that had this same problem. If he used it for any lenght of time it would be sluggish going into reverse. After placing it in reverse he would need to raise the idle a bit before it would catch. This sounds like a pressure problem to me.

My friends Lincoln lasted for 10 plus years and he always had that problem and he just dealt with it.

I did have a thought... Someone could have changed the dipstick. Does anyone with a C6 Transmission feel like going out in the snow and cold and measuring there dipstick for me?

Thanks for your response Bill H.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh Chassis

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited December 10, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited December 10, 2005).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post