Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bill N.Y. parking/E-brake question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bill N.Y. parking/E-brake question
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Bill N.Y. parking/E-brake question

Would you happen to know what the adjustment procedure/specification is? Mine is starting to slip, it holds OK on the flat and level but on a slight grade, coach will move. Drum appears to be dry.

It is a drum/shoe design on the back of an Allison M3060 6 speed. Air/spring device is a metal cannister.

Need to get this done before I head to Canada next month. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It might not be the adjustment...

The airspring is nothing more than a big spring and a diaphragm. The springs get weak and then loose their ability to hold psi back.

The shoes could be heat glazed. If the shoes were overheated then this could explain the slipping.

Take a picture of the back side of the prop brake so I can see what you're looking at and attach it in your next response. I'll see if I can get you that info on adjusting the prop brake if it's something that I've never seen before. Chances are it's a very easy adjustment and can be performed by just about anyone.

If I am going to describe this, I want others to see what you have and not to assume that what they have is the same. It would be tragic if someone else followed this advice and adjust their coach the wrong way.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I think I found the problem, even thou the outside appears to be dry, there is a greasy film on the inner braking surface of the drum. There is no evidence of anything leaking from the outside, perhaps it is just a build up of 90K miles worth of junk. (wishful thinking)

Monday I will take off the drum and associated shoes, inspect the rear transmission seal, (hopefully it isn't bad!) replace shoes and have the drum cleaned. I am thinking to replace the airspring while there, and lub the cable. I will have pictures later and try to take many during the procedure.

Thanks for your reply.

P.S. I know the air spring should not be disassembled !!!!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post