Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    MCI Regency Question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

MCI Regency Question
 Login now/Join our community

posted
MCI Regency Question?
I have been having a problem for the last year with breaking stud bolts in the pasenger front wheel. Over the last year I have broken 8. It seams to happen more on 2 lane roads when it is windy conditions.
Has anyone else had this porblem when they had a Regency chasis.
Morrie

Posts: 4 | Location: Moline, Il | Member Since: 07-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look very close at the bolt holes in the rim. If they are worn out of orginal shape it would mean the nuts are not seating properly against the rim. The seats of the rim must match the angle of the nuts as they are a big factor in holding the rim from moving. I have never seen your set up, and some times the center hole of the rim plays a large part in keeping the rim centered, thus not allowing to much pressure to be put on the bolts or studs. The center hole on some rims slips over a matching machined lip which aids in centering the rim.I am sure someone else will add to my comments. My father use to say "ANYONE CAN FIX THE RESULT, BUT IT TAKES A SKILLED MECH. TO GET TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM" You WILL FIND THE PROBLEM. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
This is serious.

Are the nuts being torqued by pattern with a torque wrench? Don't let an impact wrench near them, regardless of what they tell you about a "torque stick".

With someone holding the brakes applied, tighten two opposite nuts very evenly and gradually by hand as you wiggle and rotate the wheel back and forth. Then use another pair in another set of opposite positions. Try to find something different. Any two opposite pair should hold the wheel in position. Since it is only one side, I would suggest removing the other front wheel and doing some very careful comparing. Use a magnifying glass and a bright light to inspect the areas Dale mentioned.If you can't find the problem, swap the wheel with one from another position to determine whether the problem is the wheel or spindle.

If you are breaking studs, that means there is some inordinate stress on the wheel bolt holes. I would have those areas inspected by magnetic particle (Magneflux) if steel or dye penetrant (Zyglo) if aluminum. A race shop or good aircraft shop can do it.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jmcpictures, sure would like to know what you find out on the problem. Thanks. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post