Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    front cap and roof rivets??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

front cap and roof rivets??
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am redoing roof for a leak where front cap over laps roof aluminum. I find no rivets or screws holding the fiber glass cap to the aluminum sheet roof. Only seal is roofing cement over and under the joining. Same is true on the rear cap and roof. Is this a normal condition??

Posts: 38 | Location: roseville, ca | Member Since: 06-24-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Don't think so. On my 85 Regal the front cap was attached via rivets, some of which I replaced.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim and Terre-Is there enough roof thickness that I could screw in 1/2 inch stainless sheet metal screws along the edge of the roof cap and the aluminum sheet catching both? I think in time the flexing of the roof will give way to leaking if I only use roofing coating. Ted

Posts: 38 | Location: roseville, ca | Member Since: 06-24-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Yes, the flexing will cause a problem. In my Regal, there was a supporting structure underneath the cap and the roof that the rivets were attached to. Along the front edge of the cap, the top edge of the window, I believe this structure was steel. I used aluminum rivets with an aluminum mandrel. Seemed to work ok

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is it necessary to remove inside roof panels to rivet the cap to the aluminum roof? thanks ted

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I didn't but I already had holes where original rivets had failed. Just used pop rivets to install new ones. On a couple of places, I drilled new holes and put new rivets in them. Just make sure you know what you're drilling into. On my Regal, the structural support for the front window is steel. This steel can rust quite dramatically. Then you have a real problem which requires removing a bunch of stuff and having expert repairs made. OTOH, if you're riveting into aluminum, it's no problem. Just have to figure out what you're riveting to. There are pics of the Barth structure that might give you some help.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B