Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Steer Safe or Safe T?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Steer Safe or Safe T?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We have a 22 ft 1989 Barth. We are gettting ready to choose some sort of steering stablizer. I see Camping World sells both Steer Safe and Safe T.
Is one better than the other for our new to us Baby Barth?
We have installed new airbags in the front already.

Posts: 9 | Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have used Steer Safe on two different coaches. I bought the first one because a couple of people said they liked it best, but I have never spoken with a person who went from one to the other on the same coach, to provide an apples to apples comparison. After all, why would they? And all Safe T Plus owners are happy, too. I like the ruggedness, simplicity and leakproofness of the Steer Safe. But that yellow has to go.

That said, if your budget allows, the Blue Ox Trucenter is really neat. It allows you to set the nuetral point where you want, when you want. I drove across Wyoming once and the wind was steady blowing me off to the side of the road. The Steer Safe helped, I am sure, but resetting the neutral would have been nice.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited May 01, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Bill Is that Steer Safe/Safe T the large shock that I see connected to the steering? Mine is really rusty and I was kind of wondering if I should replace it. Dennis

1986 38' Regal 454 gas hog

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Bill My coach is a 28' not 38' A 38' with a Cummins would be great. One other thing, I found a new set of Heddman truck exhaust headers a guy has for sale. I'm thinking about changing the stock exhaust. Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Dennis, the later P30 comes with a steering snubber on the right side. It is rather like a shock absorber with equal damping on compression and rebound. That is probably what you have. I would recommend replacing it and the other shocks with Bilsteins.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I believe the Hedman headers have three inch collectors, which are a little larger than optimum for RV usage. How long are the tubes? I think Eddie might know something about them.

However, any header is better than the iron manifolds.

You can correct your signature by going to "profile".

1st month member
posted Hide Post
I like my Hedman's because of the thermal coating. I live in the rust belt near the coast. They are a lot better than iron manifolds. They have given me a lot more mid and high range punch while lowering engine temps by about 10 degrees. Bill's right about the torque curve-larger diameter moves the torque curve to a higher rpm. Bill, this might be mitigated by the reduction back to 2.5" exhaust pipes. I'm looking for some new mufflers now-maybe some Flowmasters. The Aero-Turbine muffler claims to increase air flow kind of like a jet engine.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EddieChevalier:
The Aero-Turbine muffler claims to increase air flow kind of like a jet engine.

Eddie, I'll see your Aero-Turbines and raise you a pair of Afterburners. LOL.

I have a pair of Afterburners(yeah, really) that I intend to install when I do the X-pipe thing. However, I do not have any exspectations of jet-like power. It appears that Aero-Turbine are playing fast and loose with their claim of jet technology. I have been inside a lot of jet engines.

http://www.holley.com/flowtechheaders/

Engines like a little back pressure at low and midrange for heavy pulling, so the latest and greatest is not always the best for us.

I would agree with you on the reduction being a good thing. The 454 really likes 2 1/4 best for heavy loads. I have seen this on John Geraghty's dyno when he was in business.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited May 01, 2004).]