Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Refrigerators
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Refrigerators
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted
My Dometic has given out and I need to make a decision on what to do..
It is an 88 model number RM 3801 it is an automatic selector type and is propane/12v DC/120v ac...
Ma
y question would be should I go the rebuilt route that is having the cooling unit rebuilt or should I buy a whole new unit..
Your comments and ideas would be appreciated..
also any suggestions on a new unit and why I should go with that model..
I have a 1986 28 ft regal...
thanks
John Reilly

John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what has failed. If the cooling unit only, you can get one and replace it yourself for $600-700. If its actually terminal, I suggest the Norcold, but my prejudice is based on the fact that the Dometic in my SOB had to be level or nose-up to work; the Norcold in StaRV II is unconcerned and seems always to work.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty thanks for the reply and suggestion... with the high ammoniun (Spelling bad) smell I think it is just the cooling unit...
John

John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
John,

A couple of years ago my Dometic also failed. I thought about just replacing the cooling unit, but really didn't want to spend $600 - $800 plus shipping and do the install myself and then still have the same old reefer box.

I looked to buy the same three-way version, however, to my knowledge Dometic now only makes what they call the classic in a two-way version, gas and 120v electric. The 12 volt is no longer an option. The available model is a 2810 and runs around $1200 to $1300 dollars. I had mine installed at the Amsterdam NY Camping World facility. With my Presidents Club membership and the special they were running at the time, I had it all done for less than $1200.00. That was two years ago.

I run with the gas on while traveling and it works very well. It even worked well on my recent trip of 1200 miles to the Outer Banks in NC where we drove an entire day in a tropical storm with 50 mph wind and rain.

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a little experince in this area a couple of months ago with our Dometic RM3804
You can buy a rebuilt cooling unit on ebay for less than $400 including shipping. They also include all the instructions for changing it out. If you have any mechanical skills you will find replacing the old really simple. If you are not sure you can find the instuctions on the internet and then remove your old cooling unit. You will be amazed at how simple this is. After removing the freezer plates everything is bolted on the back and it just comes apart.
In my case the hardest part was overcoming my fear of doing something I had never attempted before.
Good luck on a really simple job.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was also going to say since you are not all that far from Indiana, you should check out the surplus store. Years ago we bought a new Norcold from Winnebago surplus at about 60% of camping world prices.

JC Whitney also carries Norcold.

We like the Norcold as it has a larger freezer. But, we have a dometic.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I run an inverter on mine on the road, so rarely use gas. Conrad Bennett cleverly installed the inverter with a relay to kick the reefer over to 120VAC when connected. The muted hum of the inverter reminds me to switch to LPG if I won't be hooking up or running soon.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the words of wisdom... I am going with a Dometic RM2820 as that is suppose to be the exact replacement... The Norcold N641 would be 3 inches shorter ...
So I will be ordering a Dometic 2 way in the am...
Rusty I do like the inverter idea should I consider going the 3 way route..
Thanks to everyone for your help and insight..

John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of leaving the propane shut off when underway. And on My SOB, the reefer burner kept blowing out until I fashioned a shield for it.

I've heard that three-way reefers are getting scarce, but that's the way I'd go.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the idea of leaving the propane shut off when underway.
I've heard that three-way reefers are getting scarce, but that's the way I'd go.

Same here. I plan on doing a relay thing so the fridge is powered by the alternator when underway but not when the engine is off.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I had hoped to get a 3 way but no luck... Going that route would mean alot of remodeling, which A I am not good at and B would involve more than I can probably handle.. So I went with the Dometic 2820 which is suppose to be a direct replacement for my 3801.. The measurements seem to be off by a 1/4 inch in height, which I think I can handle... It is a 2 way so if I want to go 3 way I'll have to Mickey Mouse around it.. I have ordered it and am awaiting its arrival ... Then the fun begins.. I'll let you all know how it goes..

John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio