Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Heater Core Replacement
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Heater Core Replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Well, I put it off for the last couple of weeks so the last two days have been spent removing a leaking heater core.

Hope you never have to do this!

This is how much of the dash, vanity tray, glove compartment, dash defroster fans, rear view camera, etc were removed.

This is the components of the HVAC system removed from under the dash and on the outside firewall.

What the dash looks like with the covers and HVAC removed.

And even the headlights had to be removed to gain clearance to drop the unit out the bottom.

You can bet this is not the system that will be reinstalled.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! 30 years ago, back in college, I bought a new 1980 Chevy Monza. Three years later, the heater core went out. The Chevy dealer wanted $300 to replace it. I didn't have the money so I did it myself. I had to completely remove the interior dash back to the firewall. I had almost 40 hours of labor myself in doing this....I'd swear that when they built the car, it all started out with a heater core rolling down the assembly line and they slowly built the car around it.....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
1980 Chevy Monza

didn't you have to undo motor mounts to change spark plugs?

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I think that was if you had the 305 V-8. I had the 151 cubic inch Pontiac engine.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
My good friend had the v-8 Monza..you're right about the motor mounts and spark plugs. Sure was a gutsy little thing though!

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Nick; Looks like a good place to install a fish tank or a small refg. for the drivers favorite beverage. Smiler

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Nick, absolutely unbelievable! I watched a HVAC shop repair a system on a late model Lincoln Town Car last summer. The guy had to remove everything down to the firewall, I mean, everything Frowner What kind of a system will you replace yours with?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post