Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Hey Rusty
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hey Rusty
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted
What temperature can motor oil go up to before you need to be concerned?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody else know the answer?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It depends on the brand and viscosity...

Read this post for a better understanding...

http://www.maxxtorque.com/dies...s-synthetic-vs-oil-3

There are 4 pages to that article. Look in the lower left for Next Page >>

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It depends. (Heard that before?)

Synthetics take higher temps than dino oils, for example. Mobil 1 claims good lubrication up to 180 C (356 F) and OK for short durations above 200 C. (392 F) EEEK!

It also depends on the viscosity oil you use.

I'm gonna guess, you are asking about diesel oils for your coach. Don't know much about diesels.

In general, the hotter the oil, the more it thins out, so the more poorly it lubricates.

Note: My degree is not in petroleum engineering.

ON EDIT: Golly, I penned this slowly over breakfast, and on posting it was surprised and pleased to see that Bill NY and I sort of agree.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
In general, the hotter the oil, the more it thins out, so the more poorly it lubricates.

Or the flip side; the colder it gets, the more thick and poorly it lubricates.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Yup.

It is really scary to hear a cold engine rattle and clank until the oil thins and the clearances adjust.

Some of our equipment had to be spun long enough to bring up oil pressure before it would fire.

Piston airliners used to have heaters that fit over the front to blow hot air over the engine. Some cold weather transports had an oil dilution system, where gasoline was introduced into the oil to thin it for cold starts. The engine was thoroughly warmed up to evaporate all the gas before take off.

Thick oil also reduces cranking speed in winter.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
quote:

Or the flip side; the colder it gets, the more thick and poorly it lubricates.

Not absolutely true. Generally, the higher the RPM, the LESS oil pressure is required. Quasi-laminar flow is the ideal, and the oil has to be thin enough to produce that.

As far as motor oil is concerned, lubrication always seems to be the focus, but an oil has to perform the following functions in an engine:

Lubricate
Clean
Cool
Protect
Seal

Cleaning, cooling, and protecting (and to some extent, sealing) require thinner oil.

The bottom line is that contemporary non-synthetic motor oils can easily withstand temperatures encountered in normal operation. Overheating an engine will cause problems (sometimes catastrophic) other than oil-related.

In a diesel engine, the oil is discarded not because the base stock is deteriorated, but because the additive package is depleted.

IMHO, synthetics are beneficial when an engine is used periodically and allowed to sit unused for extended periods. I use Rotella T 15W40 in the diesel van and the Barth; Mobil 1 is in the Lexus.

Most engine wear occurs on cold startup (when the oil is thickest). The rule of thumb is as soon as the engine's hitting on all cylinders, GO! Some coaches require air to be pumped up; in that case, when air's up, get moving.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Most engine wear occurs on cold startup

I had a prof who was a retired engineer from Wright Aero engines who said the same thing.

I don't remember the percentage he quoted, but it was quite high. 75 to 90%, I think. He was not an armchair engineer. His A&E license was signed by Orville Wright. WWII gave him a lot of field experience under adverse conditions with Wright engines. I wish I had taken better notes in his classes.