Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    120 volt household refrigerators in RVs
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

120 volt household refrigerators in RVs
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Number Crunching time:

For this exercise, I just picked a GE fridge that would fit through my door. The model GMS10AAMRWW, 9.6 cu ft, 13X24X58 inches, draws 338 kwh per year, , according to the energy label or 926 watt hrs per day, or 77 amp hours per day from an inverter fed by 12 volt batteries.

Assuming 100% efficiency, and standard operating conditions, 77 amp hours would be about one third of a pair of Trojan T125s. Since RVs are often in less that ideal operating environments, we might still get by with a pair of T125s dedicated to the fridge and have another pair, in parallel, to take up the slack and for the rest of the coach.

Getting the 77 amp hours back in the batteries every day is the problem. A pair of T125s will accept 40 amps if down to 50%, so, if you have a big charger, you can count on running the generator for a minimum of 2 hours. Probably more like 3 or 4, just to replace what the fridge took every day. As the battery charges, it will take less current, so the charge time gets longer. On a bright sunny Arizona summer day, 250 watts of solar panels, if tilted correctly, could provide all 77 amp hours. It is labeled as drawing 15 amps, so we would need a minimum of 1800 watts of inverter to start the compressor.

Caveat, Cavil and Quibble: These are just paper numbers and are not real world figures.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited December 13, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Here in the Northeast, when we have long power outages, I just run the aux generator (using the male-male adapter) about an hour in the morning and again in the evening to keep the refrigerator and freezer cold. During that time the heat is brought up and water pumped, showers taken, coffee made, burgers fried, UPS�s recharged, etc. My take on the 110v only refrigerator would be to just run the generator the 2-3 hours like you will have to, to recharge, split up during the day and there would probably be no need for the inverter use. (In reality I have a transfer switch on the service panel, not the male-male adapter)

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi bill this is patnpat.we bought the 28ft regency and suzuki combo from houston and will be flying down to pick up between xmas and new year.this of course leaves lots of time to meander on up to quartzite on the 23rd.this is the unit that has the 110v. frig.whats your thoughts on the charging aspect of the 454 genny as we travel. in all our camping of 25+years we really do not boondock.i did receive quite a few replies from people with the same setup and they seem to work fine.anyhow,looking forward to meeting everyone.hope you are going as i can pick your brains. i hear theres a whiz rv mechanic in blythe and i can have rig checked for remainder of trip.dash ac etc.
cheers

Posts: 48 | Location: gilroy ca | Member Since: 11-15-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Pat, I would be interested in the identity of the whiz RV mechanic in Blythe. I can recommend Chuck Grotke. I have known him for over 20 years. He is a true Rocket Scientist turned RV tech. His establishment is Valley Palms RV, and he has a park there, too. He is a good honest man and is as sharp as they come. He doesn't do chassis work, though. His joint is on Hobsonway east of Intake.

Here's his mug:

http://www.theblythetribune.com/local.news/chuck.grotke.candidate.bcc.asp

" whats your thoughts on the charging aspect of the 454 genny as we travel."

Don't know what genset you have, but it is unlikely that it is worth a darn at 12 volt charging. My preference is to have a good strong 12 volt charger running off the generator 110 volt output. I would doubt that your converter is not much of a charger, either. I use an Iota DLS75IQ converter/charger. Now, as to your 110 volt fridge, the genset will power it quite well as you drive. If you are asking about the alternator on your 454 engine charging the coach battery, lots of luck. A chassis alternator is not much good for charging coach batteries, but OK for just topping them off. The diode isolator used on so many coaches robs .7 volt from the output, so neither coach nor chassis battery ever really gets fully charged. The Delco alternator gets hot when given a long heavy load, too. I prefer no isolator and a solenoid for paralleling or emergency start. I will be in Blythe Jan 15, 16, 17, 18 and in Quartzsite from the 19th to Feb 1.

Do NOT drink Blythe water.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the response to my last post on this topic I will try again. The Freedom inverter comes in various flavors, up to 3000 watts I think. It functions as a smart charger when 110 is supplied so it will start charging at 50 amps until the charge level rises then it drops thru 3 charging stages. It finally maintains a "trickle" charge. This obviates the problem with large batteries, small genset charging or less than humongous alternators on the already loaded engine.
Happy Holidays,
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BILL H THANNKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I BELEIVE I GOT THE WHIZ MECHANIC ORIGINALLY FROM YOUR POSTING! THANKS FOR YOUR MEXICAN RECCOS. IWILLSEE YOU AT BARTH RALLY AS I PLAN TO ATTEND AND JOIN RANGERS!CHEERS.

Posts: 48 | Location: gilroy ca | Member Since: 11-15-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post