Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Breakaway Hot Water Heater
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Breakaway Hot Water Heater
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted
We just returned from our maiden camping trip in our recently aquired Breakaway. As I stated in another post, it went flawlessly except for one problem. When I started my hot water heater for the first time, I got plenty of VERY HOT water. But, I also got a leaking water tank? It is located under the kitchen counter behind the sink. Funny thing, I noticed it leaking by opening a compartment underneath and water was dripping into it. I was hooked up to water at the site. At first I thought it might be a leak in one of the water lines, since I now had constant water pressure into the coach. I did have a water regulator on the incoming water line. Then I looked under the sink and saw the hot water heater and all the water around it. My wife's cousin, who we were with, suggested running the hot water until the tank emptied and then shutting it off. He said that the tank would not refill until the heater was started again? This seemed to help. I noticed that the tank was not just wet around the base, but also the "insulation paper" that surrounds the heater was quite wet. Any thoughts or comments? It looks as if this would be a difficult item to change in the coach, as there is no easy way to R&R the hot water heater.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Bruce, Check your pop off valve on your water heater. for some strange reason there seems to be a lot of those just going bad with no warning. ( Thanks Gunner) I had that problem last year. it worked fine one day and the next time we used it VERY HOT water started comming out the overflow. Gunner nailed it right away.
Yours might be something different but i would start there.

mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Ditto ironsides. Been there, done that.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
If it's your typical Atwood or Suburban heater, it could very well be the pop-off valve, as has already been pointed out.....but it may not be a defective valve - just a waterlogged tank.....

Because a changing water temp also changes water volume (hotter = more volume, the valve could be "bumping open" to handle the need for this increased volume. Water heaters are designed to have a small air pocket within the pressure chamber to absorb this expansion....Without air to compress, the water needs to escape, so it appears to leak.

Here's the drill:

1. Water heater OFF
2. Incoming water supply OFF
3. Closest coach hot water faucet - OPEN
4. PULL pressure relief valve handle OPEN

-Allow all water to drain-

5. Allow pressure relief valve to CLOSE
6. CLOSE hot water faucet in coach
7. Incoming water supply ON to reill tank.

This may or may not be the problem, but for a couple minutes work and zero cost, it's worth a try.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
A reminder: If the heater (heating element) is electric FILL THE TANK BEFORE TURNING IT ON or sufer the droopy element result, which means no more electric heating action.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It could also be caused by a faulty thermostat.

I usually turn the propane off before the thermostat kicks in, but on my last trip, one time I didn't. The popoff valve opened - it opens not only for overpressure, but over temp as well.

Another clue is that the overtemp breaker for the electric element also was tripping.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for their help. I am going to check out the pop off valve as soon as I can figure out where it is (I am not the most mechanically inclined and my tank is buried under the counter behind my sink). I will also use Lee's suggestion and try that method to insure the tank has an air pocket. I will follow up shortly with my findings.
Thanks again!

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The popoff valve should be located outside; open the door to the HW heater compartment, and it should be at the upper left.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Thanks for the info. on the location of the pop off valve. Now that I found it, it is not the problem unless it is leaking before it actually gets to the valve itself. So, now I must do some exploring to try to make sure it is not "waterlogged" as a possibility and check the water lines. If it is not one of those, a replacement will be in order. Funny thing, they riveted the control panel where the pop off valve is. I would think that is where you would have the best access to the water heater itself, unless the heater is too big to fit thru that opening. The only other way to get to it in our coach is to remove it from under/behind the sink......
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The popoff valve is threaded directly into the tank; if the valve isn't weeping but there's still a leak there, the collar may be cracked, but that's unlikely; there may be insufficient sealant also, which is an easy fix.

The shelf and fascia over the HW tank remove easily. The supply/discharge fittings are a bit dicey to reach, but removal (from the inside as you surmised) isn't too bad. However, before doing that, I'd turn on the burner to the tank and see if the popoff valve starts discharging before the burner shuts off. That nails it to the thermostat, which is about $21, including the OT piece. Very simple to replace.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke